APPLY NOW
my.bergen.edu
ILR Banner

Frequently Asked Questions

What is ILR?

The Institute for Learning in Retirement (ILR) is a program for people, 55 years and older, who want to keep learning about the past and present, about their world, and about themselves and one another. Classes are taught by volunteer instructors who have expertise and experience in the subjects they teach.  There is a lot of interaction, but there are no tests, no grades and no credits.

What can I learn?

ILR courses are determined by the interests and expertise of its members. “Peer learning” is the operating concept: members may serve as volunteer instructors as well as students sharing knowledge from their experiences in the workplace, from lifelong pursuit of a hobby or avocation or from the study of a favorite subject. Over 700 area residents are currently enrolled in ILR. 

Who can join?

The ILR is for men and women 55 years and older. Courses usually meet one time per week during daytime hours.  A course may run anywhere from one to eight weeks depending on the subject, the enthusiasm of the group and the instructor.  The annual membership fee entitles you to sign up each semester for four courses.

Do I have to be retired to apply to ILR?

No, but you must be 55 years or older.

Do I have to have a college degree?

No.  Membership is open to people from all backgrounds with a strong interest in continued learning.

Can I get a degree from ILR?

No. ILR courses and workshops are non-credit/non-degree offerings, and part of The College’s Division of Continuing Education, Corporate & Public Sector Training.  Members take courses at ILR for the pure pleasure of learning.

How many courses may I take per semester?

Members may take up to four courses per semester (fall, spring).

What are the guidelines for registration?

Prospective members must complete an application form, pay the appropriate membership dues, and submit their registration requests (choose four preferred courses) and the time of registration. Registration requests are processed on a first come, first served basis, and requests received by mail are date stamped.  In consideration of others needs and requests, please register ONLY for classes you plan to attend REGULARLY.  If you register and find you cannot attend the course, notify the ILR office as soon as possible. It is not necessary to notify the office if you cannot attend a single class. 

Does ILR have a membership fee, if so, how much is it?

In order to take classes, ILR members pay a nominal fee prior to the start of the fall semester; this fee entitles them to enroll in classes in the fall and spring semesters.  ILR members who wait for the spring semester to join are entitled to enroll in classes offered only in the spring. From a cost perspective, the full year membership is a better value.   

Where can I get more information?

For more information, contact:

Institute for Learning in Retirement (ILR)
Bergen Community College
Division of Continuing Education, Corporate & Public Sector Training
400 Paramus Road, TEC 115
Paramus, NJ  07652

Phone: 201-447-7156 
E-Mail: [email protected]