Will guests require a ticket for admission to the ceremony?
Unlimited numbers of guests are permitted. Therefore, an admission ticket for the ceremony will not be required.
Will accommodations be provided for disabled persons?
Please contact the Office of Specialized Services, if a graduate requires accommodations. If your guest requires accommodations please contact ADA services at MetLife Stadium at (201) 559-1515 or visit the website.
What do I do if I need a Sign Language Interpreter?
If you need an interpreter, please submit an Interpreter Request Form as soon as possible.
Will there be a reception following the ceremony?
There will not be a reception following the ceremony.
How should I dress for the ceremony?
Dress should be appropriate for the occasion.
It is recommended that the graduates wear business-casual attire.
It is also recommended that they wear comfortable shoes but not sneakers and not stiletto heels.
Personal belongings should not be brought to the line-up area.
Graduates will not be permitted to carry handbags, umbrellas, cameras, balloons or any other objects.
What if it rains?
The average low temperature on May 18 in East Rutherford is 53 degrees Fahrenheit; the average high temperature for the day is 69 degrees Fahrenheit. Commencement will be held at the MetLife Stadium rain or shine. If there is rain during the processional and/or ceremony, waterproof rain capes will be provided for the graduates and others seated in the open. Portions of the stadium seating for guests are under cover and families and other guests may bring and use umbrellas during the ceremony.
Will there be a Commencement Ceremony Rehearsal?
No. There is no rehearsal for the commencement ceremony.
Where can I pick up my cap and gown?
You will pick your cap and gown at the “GradFest “ event on May 4, 2017 in the Student Center.
Important note – If you are unable to attend GradFest, you will be permitted to pick up your cap and gown at the BCC Bookstore on May 15, 2017.
What time do I need to be at the MetLife Stadium?
All graduates should arrive by 9:00 a.m. and proceed to the Commencement line up areas.
No family or guests are permitted in the line-up area.
Where do I park?
Parking at the stadium is permitted in any of the areas except as posted.
All Parking is FREE at MetLife Stadium for Commencement 2017.
Handicapped parking is also provided by permit only.
How do I get to MetLife Stadium?
The address is One MetLife Stadium Drive, East Rutherford, NJ 07073.
Please access these links for driving directions.
All Parking is FREE at MetLife Stadium for Commencement 2017.
How is long the ceremony?
The ceremony last approximately 2.5 hours and should end by 12:30pm.
What is the difference between Graduation and Commencement?
- Graduation is the official confirmation by the College that all of your degree requirements have been completed and your diploma has been conferred.
- Commencement is the ceremony that celebrates your graduation.
How will I know when I am ready to graduate?
- As soon as you have enrolled in your final semester of courses, we will contact you to let you know that you are almost ready to graduate. Upon completion of your final courses your degree and diploma will be conferred. If you wish to check your progress towards graduation, you can request this information anytime via your student portal. Simply click on the “Confirm My Graduation” link.
When will I receive my diploma?
- Diplomas are normally mailed out to the home address on record approximately 4-6 weeks after the final grades have been submitted.
How will I be recognized at the ceremony?
- The 2017 commencement ceremony is open for August 2016, December 2016 graduates and Spring 2017 potential graduates.
- You will walk across the stage, your name will be announced and you will receive a diploma cover.
Will my name be listed in the program?
- The May 2017 Commencement ceremony program will include August 2016, December 2016 and May 2017 graduates.
- Please note that August 2017 candidates for graduation are welcome to participate in the May 2017 Commencement ceremony, however their names will not be included in the program booklet.
Will I be charged a fee?
- There is no fee.
Can I request a letter of invitation for international friends and family to attend the commencement ceremony?
- Bergen Community College will provide a letter of invitation to commencement to assist ELIGIBLE graduates whose GUESTS need to apply for a visitor’s visa in order to attend the commencement ceremony.
- To obtain a letter, please follow these steps:
- Prior to submitting a request for a letter of invitation, confirm your participation in the Commencement ceremony.
- If you have 7 or fewer credits to complete, plan to graduate in the Summer 2017 term, and would like to participate in the commencement ceremony – please complete the Request to Participate in Commencement Form prior to submitted a request for a letter of invitation.
- Make a formal request for the Letter(s) of Invitation by email to Dr. Ralph Choonoo, Executive Assistant for Student Affairs.
- Include names of guests and their current addresses.
- The letter of invitation may be picked up by the student in the Student Affairs Leadership Suite, L123E.
NOTE: it can take up to five business days for the College to process a letter of invitation.
Can I still participate in this commencement even if I am taking classes over the summer?
- Yes. Students who have fewer than 7 credits to complete their program may walk in the May 2017 Commencement Ceremony.
- You will need to complete the Request to Participate in Commencement 2017/August 2017 Degree Candidate Form and provide documentation that verifies that you are registered for and have paid for your remaining courses.
Can my academic record be changed after I have graduated?
- Once a student graduates, their academic record is closed. Therefore, grade changes or enrollment status cannot be altered.
I am not going to participate in the commencement ceremony, where can I pick up my diploma?
- Your diploma will be mailed to your home address on record approximately 4-6 weeks after the end of the semester.
- Diplomas will only be mailed to students whose accounts are in good standing.
I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa (PTK), how can I order my gold-colored regalia?
- You can order your gold-colored honor stole, cords and medallions through the PTK website accessible at: store.ptk.org
- PTK will also have a very limited number of stoles for rent to wear at commencement.
- For more information on PTK, please contact Angie Goldszmidt at (201)879-8983 or [email protected]
What if I have more questions about commencement and graduation?
- Graduation Status: For more information regarding your graduation status, please visit the Registrar’s Office/One Stop, Room A-129 in the Pitkin Education Center or call (201)447-7931.
- Commencement Ceremony: For more information regarding the commencement ceremony, please visit the Office of Student Life in the Pitkin Education Center, Room SC-110 or email [email protected] or call (201)447-7215.