Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain an IRS Tax Return Transcript?


The IRS allows students to received their tax transcript on-line, by mail, or over the phone.

To request the transcript on-line, please go to  You will need (for student &/or parent) the social security number, date of birth, filing status, mailing address (exactly how it’s recorded on the latest tax return), access to your email account, your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan, and a mobile phone (with your name on the account).  You will be able to view, print, and download the transcript.

To request the transcript by mail, please go to  You will need (for student &/or parent) the social security number, date of birth, and mailing address (exactly how it’s recorded on the latest tax return).  You will receive your transcript in the mail in 5-10 days at the address on file.

To request the transcript by phone, please call 1-800-908-9946 and following the menu prompts.

If you are unable to obtain your transcript on-line, by mail, or on the phone and need other IRS documentation, please contact your local office to make an appointment:

Hours of operation: 8:30AM – 4:30PM Monday through Friday (Closed for lunch 12:30PM – 1:30PM).

City Street Address Telephone*
Cherry Hill 51 Haddonfield Rd., Cherry Hill, NJ 08002 (856) 321-1328
Edison 100 Dey Place, Edison, NJ 08817 (732) 572-9752
Freehold 4 Paragon Way, Freehold, NJ 07728 (732) 660-0063
Mays Landing 5218 Atlantic Ave., Mays Landing, NJ 08330 (609) 625-0678
Mountainside 200 Sheffield St., Mountainside, NJ 07092 (908) 301-2112
Newark 20 Washington Place, Newark, NJ 07102 (973) 645-6690
Paramus (by appt. only) 1 Kalisa Way, Paramus, NJ 07652 (201) 634-7052
Parsippany 1719 Route 10 East, Parsippany, NJ 07054 (973) 808-0821
Paterson 200 Federal Plaza, Paterson, NJ 07505 (973) 357-4114
Trenton One State St. Square, 50 West State St.,
Trenton, NJ 08608
(609) 989-0533

*Rev. 10/19/16

How do I apply for aid at Bergen Community College?

You must first be accepted into an eligible certificate or degree program, apply for a FAFSA User ID (your electronic passport to federal aid online accessible at, then complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

When Should I apply for Financial Aid?

Apply as early as possible in accordance with the application priority dates.
The FAFSA is available for by October 1st.
The priority deadline for BCC is March 15th and New Jersey State is June 1st (all continuing students), and October 1st (all new applicants).
Although there is no deadline for federal student aid, you are encouraged to file your FAFSA information in accordance with these same dates to receive priority consideration.
Bergen Community College participates in most Federal and State Programs, including the Federal Pell Grant, Tuition Aid Grant (TAG), Federal Work Study (FWS), Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) Educational Opportunity Grant (EOF), and William D. Ford Loans (Direct Loans).

How do I choose a scholarship that meets my educational and career goals?

Apply for all scholarships for which you appear to meet the criteria.
Answer all questions on the application form to the best of your ability and then ask for help in completing the rest.
As part of the application process, you will be required to attach a typewritten essay that includes your career and educational goals and how you plan to reach them.
List any honors or awards you received in the past as well as community and/or school activities in which you have been involved. Include information about yourself and your family (if applicable).
If you are a parent, include the ages of any children. A faculty recommendation must accompany your application.

What is Bergen Community College’s School Code?

Bergen Community College’s Federal School Code for the FAFSA is 004736 and New Jersey State School Code for NJHESAA is 2032.

How do I apply for a William D. Ford Loan (Direct Loan)?

Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and follow the instructions listed under Applying For A Stafford Loan. *Note: Students must register for at least six (6) credit hours and be enrolled in/accepted to an eligible certificate or degree program.

What is Federal Work Study (FWS) and how can I apply?

The Federal Work Study program provides part-time jobs for students who demonstrate financial need and allows them to earn money to help pay educational expenses.
This program encourages community service work as well as work related to a specific course of study.
Work-study students receive $1,500 per Academic Year, and work approximately 15 hours per week.
If you qualify, your award letter will show Federal Work Study (FWS) as part of your awards.

Am I required to submit IRS Tax Transcripts?

If your application is ‘Selected for Verification ‘by the U.S. Department of Education’s Central Processing System, then you will be required to provide prior year Federal Tax Transcript as well as any other documentation requested.

Who is considered an Independent student?

According to the U.S. Department of Education, a student must meet one of the following criteria to be considered ‘Independent’ of parental support for the 2016-2017 Academic Year:

  • Were you born before Jan. 1, 1993?
  • Are you married? (Answer “Yes” if you are separated but not divorced.)
  • At the beginning of the 2016–17 school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate degree program (such as an M.A., M.B.A., M.D., J.D., Ph.D., Ed.D., graduate certificate, etc.)?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces for purposes other than training? (If you are a National Guard or Reserves enlistee, are you on active duty for other than state or training purposes?)
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?*
  • Do you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2016, and June 30, 2017?
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2017?
  • At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care, or were you a dependent or ward of the court?
  • Has it been decided by a court in your state of legal residence that you are an emancipated minor or that you are in a legal guardianship?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2016, were you determined to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless, as determined by (a) your high school or district homeless liaison or (b) the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2016, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

What if I need help filling out my FAFSA?

The Financial Aid Office offers FAFSA Workshops to assist students who need help with completion of the FAFSA.
Check the Dates and Deadlines page for upcoming Financial Aid workshops.

How will Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) affect my financial aid?

You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards in order to continue to receive financial aid.
Withdrawals, failures, and course repeats will affect your financial aid.

How will withdrawals affect my financial aid?

Students who wish to withdraw from a course must officially withdraw by completing a Add/Drop Form with the Registration Office or by using Web Advisor.
All withdrawals affect a student’s academic progress and future eligibility for financial aid.
Federal regulations require that the college determine whether a portion of the federal aid be repaid when a student withdraws from classes before the end of the semester.
Students, who withdraw from all classes before 60% of the semester is completed, may be required to repay a portion of the financial aid awarded.
The amount of aid that may be retained is in direct proportion to the length of time you attend classes during a semester.

What is Verification and why do I have to provide this information?

Verification is a requirement of the U.S. Department of Education.
If you are ‘Selected for Verification’, Bergen Community College must compare your FAFSA information your Federal Tax Transcript(s).
You may also be asked to provide additional financial documents.
Submit all documents to the Financial Aid Office along with a completed Verification Worksheet.
If there are differences in your application data and the information contained on your financial documents, the office will make necessary corrections and forward your corrected information to the U.S. Department of Education’s Central Processing System.