Welcome to the Academic Computing Department at Bergen Community College.
Who are we?
We are part of the Information Technology team at Bergen Community College, working closely with all departments within ITS.
- Manage the student computer labs on campus.
- Assist the students in working with technology.
- Support faculty in research, development and implementation of innovative technologies for instruction.
Contact Academic Computing
To contact Academic Computing, please call (201) 612-5477 or e-mail: [email protected]
Description of Student Technology Consultant (STC) Duties
As an STC, there are several duties that you will be responsible for and expected to fulfill throughout your shift. These duties include, but are not limited to, helping patrons with general computer needs, general maintenance of Free-Time labs and selected classrooms, and assisting the ITS Department when necessary. There will also be some opportunities for qualified individuals to become part of the administrative team and oversee day to day operations and work first hand with the Lab Supervisor.
Lab Assistant Role
There are three Free-Time computer labs and approximately 25 classrooms that we manage. Part of your duties will be to oversee these labs and make sure that everything is working correctly and that each individual patron is provided with the help that they need. You will also be in charge of reporting lost items to the lost & found located at Public Safety. There is a form that must be filled out every time you do so, located in S350.
Tech Assistant Role
As an STC you will be asked to assist the ITS Department when necessary. This may range from wiping hard drives of older computers to setting up new ones to repairing broken machines.
STC as Administrator
If you are assigned to be an Academic Computing Administrator, there are some additional tasks. The primary responsibility of an Academic Computing Administrator is to make certain that people are in their assigned areas and that they get their breaks. They are also responsible for contacting Public Safety in the event of problems.
Make sure all STCs are present.
- Review all assignments.
- Prepare break and lunch schedules for each person working over five hours.
- Perform other Administrator tasks as assigned or needed.
- Answer phones this way: “Hello, Academic Computing, this is (STC Name) speaking; how may I help you?”
- Be sure to send problems concerning hardware or software to the Service Desk using email or by calling extension #7109
Computer Labs Hours
|C-318||3137||M-F 9:00 AM – 9:00 pm /Sat 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM||38 PCs/10Macs|
M,T,TH 9:00 AM-7:00 PM /W 2:00 PM-9:00 PM /
F 9:00 AM-4:00 PM
|L-309||3414||M-F 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM||25 PCs|
|E-175||3351||M-F 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM||
|LYN-212||3072||M-F 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM / Sat & Sun: Closed||34 PCs|
|CLC-116||M-TH 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM / Sat & Sun: Closed||6 PC|
- C318 located on the 3rd floor of The Pitkin Education Center
- HP220 located on the 2nd floor of The Health Professions Building. Priority is given to students in the Health Sciences.
- L309 located on the Library Upper Floor. Priority is given to students in The Information Technology Programs.
- E175 located in Ender Hall
- LYN212 located at the Lyndhurst location
- CLC116 located at the Ciarco location
Computer labs are for Bergen students only. Sign in required.
In addition to the Free Time labs, there are also public computers in the Library located throughout the Main Floor on both the Paramus and Lyndhurst campuses. Please check the library hours here.
Wireless: Access is limited to Bergen students, faculty and staff. Authentication is required. Refer to our WIFI page for more information.
Academic Computing supports hundreds of public computers that are located throughout campus. Computers are primarily intended for the use of Bergen students engaged in course-related work.
Use of any Bergen computing or networking resources implies that the user is agreeing to follow the Acceptable Use Policy.
The College’s computer labs are for Bergen students only. Sign in with a Bergen ID is required.