2. Eligibility Requirements for New and Transfer Students
In October, 2014, new NJ STARS regulations were signed allowing students who rank in the top 15.0% of their class at the end of either their junior or senior year of high school to be potentially eligible for the NJ STARS Program.
Students who graduated from high school and did not take advantage of the NJ STARS Program may still be potentially eligible for NJ STARS scholarships if they enroll in their home county community college within five semesters from high school graduation.
NJ STARS will pay for tuition only for 12-18 college-level credits in fall and spring semesters (currently, funds are not available to cover summer courses). Books, student fees and supplies are not covered by NJ STARS. Students are eligible for five semesters of funding.
In order to be eligible for NJ STARS scholarships, there are other academic, financial aid and residency requirements which must still be met such as:
- Students must demonstrate college readiness for English, Reading and Math in order to be academically eligible for NJ STARS.
- NJ STARS is not contingent on displaying financial need. However, applications for all Federal and State financial aid must be completed by the appropriated deadlines in order to be eligible for NJ STARS.
- Students and their parents must be U.S. Citizens or eligible non-citizens, and legal New Jersey residents for a minimum of twelve months prior to high school graduation and upon county college enrollment.
The following HESAA (Higher Education Student Assistance Authority) Fact Sheets for each cohort of NJ STARS students link directly to the HESAA website and contain necessary eligibility information:
- NJ STARS Fact Sheet for 2017 High School Graduates
- NJ STARS Fact Sheet for 2016 High School Graduates
- NJ STARS Fact Sheet for 2015 High School Graduates**
**2015 high school graduates are eligible to apply for the NJ STARS program through Fall 2017.
After determining potential eligibility, please visit the NJ STARS How to Apply to the NJ STARS Program webpage.