Degree & Certificate Programs
Transfer Degree Program
- Professional Studies AS – Information Technology Option – AS.PS.INFO – for students who wish to transfer to a 4-year college or university for continued study in Information Technology or any business computing program. In addition to general studies, students are required to take six degree-specific courses which include introductory courses in information technology and business, two semesters of a programming language, systems analysis, and must elect one course from a given set that includes programming, networking and database design. Choice of elective and programming language should be determined by requirements at the college to which the student will transfer. (See the BCC Counseling Center for a list of requirements).
Career Degree Programs with Transfer Option
- Information Technology AAS – Database Programming and Administration Program -AAS.IT.DB – emphasizes computer programming skills and database management. Two semesters of a programming language, three semesters of database courses, systems analysis, and applications development courses prepare the student to actively participate in real-world software development projects.
- AAS Medical Informatics -AAS.MED.INFO – involves the ability to update and retrieve medical data as well as design and manage medical information systems. This degree is a joint effort of the Information Technology (INF) and Medical Office Administration (MOA) programs at BCC, and the BS Engineering Technology, Computer Technology program at NJIT. It addresses the need for individuals with both medical and technical knowledge. This AAS degree will transfer to the NJIT Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology (BSET) program where students can concentrate in Medical Informatics.
- Information Technology AAS – Networking Administration Program-AAS.IT.NET – emphasizes planning, designing, managing, and maintaining computer networks. Operating systems studied include Windows and UNIX/Linux. Current topics in networking are presented. This program assists with preparation toward the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) exams and the CompTIA A+ Certification.
- Information Technology AAS – Web Development and Management Program –AAS.IT.WEB – emphasizes web skills. Students delve into all facets of web page preparation. Current topics include Web page design and development, client and server side scripting, programming, multimedia, and database and networking concepts.
GAMING DEGREES: Would you like to design and program games? Play them to see if they are working correctly? Write user help?
Software Development AAS – Game Programming Program – AAS.SD.GAME.PGMG – focuses on designing games, writing the program code, and testing that the game works as expected. Emphasis is on computer programming in C++ and algorithms.
Software Development AAS – Game Testing Program
AAS.SD.GAME.TEST – focuses on quality assurance in visual software development. Emphasis is on design and testing of computer games and the inclusion of multimedia elements. Students complete a sequence in a programming language of their choice.
Career Degree Program
AAS Office Technology – AAS.BT.OFF.TECH – prepares students to meet the demands of the current office environment with specific emphasis on the resourceful use of computers in day-to-day activities. Today’s modern office requires knowledge in a wide variety of technologies including word processing, spreadsheet applications, database skills, presentation ability, use of the Internet, electronic scheduling and communications, computerized accounting, web design and publishing, and multimedia including graphics, audio, and video. This program will assist with preparation towards the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) exams.
Certificate Programs [30-36 credit]
- Computer Animation Certificate
- Computer Graphics Certificate
- Computer Technical Support Certificate
- Database Programming and Administration Certificate
- Office Technology Certificate
Computer Technical Support – CERT.COMP.SUPPORT – emphasizes troubleshooting and diagnostic skills for both hardware and software issues encountered at a Help Desk. Preparation includes computer support, upgrade and repair functions. This program assists with preparation toward the CompTIA A+ Certification.
Database Programming and Administration – CERT.DB – prepares a student to design, develop, deploy and administer current industry-standard databases, both as an end-user and as a database administrator. In its current implementation, the program assists with preparation for Oracle certification exams.
Office Technology – CERT.OFF.TECH – prepares a student to effectively use software in a modern office environment. Word processing, spreadsheet applications, database skills, presentation ability, use of the Internet, electronic scheduling and communications, and web design and publishing are investigated. This program will assist with preparation towards the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) exams.
Network Security – COA.NET.SECURITY – provides in-depth instruction in securing a network. Prior coursework in networking or professional experience required prior to matriculation.