Financial Aid

All Students should complete a Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):

Important Information:

  • What is a FAFSA? – FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. All students interested in financial aid for college, which includes grants, work-study, and loans, should fill out a FAFSA. Many scholarships also require you to fill out the FAFSA as well for consideration. Fill out your FAFSA at (you will first need to apply for a PIN number at  It can take anywhere from 6-12 weeks for your Financial Aid to process, so it is important that you apply early. 
  • What is a PIN? – If you and your parents apply for a PIN, you can electronically apply for federal student aid and access your Federal Student Aid records online. Your PIN serves as your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records. You can apply for a PIN at
  • Should I fill out a FAFSA, even if I feel I will not qualify for grants? – Absolutely! Whether you think you will qualify for Financial Aid or not, everyone should fill out a FAFSA.  It is a safe and secure application; it can only help you, and you do not have to utilize the aid if you do not want or need to.  If you do not fill out a FAFSA, you will not be able to receive any federal or state grants, work-study, or loans.  As a 1-2-3 Connect student who has filed a FAFSA, and earned a GPA of 2.75, this makes you eligible for a scholarship – especially the Dr. Agnes Varis Scholarship which is available to 1-2-3 Connect/Title V students.
  • What school code(s) should I use on my FAFSA?  – Of course, if you are attending BCC, you must add the BCC school code (004736) to your list of desired schools.  However, in addition we recommend that you list any and all schools you are thinking about applying to now or in the future (transfer). It doesn’t hurt to list more than you need. Yes, you can always modify it later, but doing it now will prevent any delay in processing your FAFSA, especially if you intend on moving to the next level upon your completion of course here at BCC.
  • What tax return do I have to use on my FAFSA? – The rule of thumb is that you MUST use the tax return filed for the year PRIOR to the start of the new Academic Year.  For example: When filling out your FAFSA for the 2013-2014 year, you will need your 2012 Tax Return.  If you are Dependent (under the age of 24), you will need BOTH you and your parents Tax Return—no exceptions.
  • Speaking of dependency status, am I dependent or independent? – Very few students under the age of 24 qualify for independent status, and these are usually special cases when they in fact are.  Dependent students who claim they are independent will typically need to prove this through specific legal documentation.  Make sure to answer all Dependency questions correctly and accurately; not doing so will likely delay the processing of your Financial Aid. If you are unsure what category you fall into, please contact our Financial Aid Representative,
  • Don’t forget NJ state aid if you are a NJ resident!  – After completing the FAFSA, either click “Optional” on the confirmation page or visit to fill out the application for NJ state aid under “Report Additional Information for State Aid.” Students often miss this extra step and can potentially lose out on additional grant money!
  • Who should I talk to with Financial Aid questions?  – Contact us at [email protected]

 Important Websites:

Like the Federal Student Aid page on Facebook!

Financial Aid Review

If you wish to receive financial aid:

  • You must be accepted in a degree or certificate program
  • You must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • You must also complete the BCC Financial Aid Certification form (available at the Financial Aid Office or on-line) select Forms/BCC Certification.
  • You must submit a copy of your High School Diploma. This is in addition to any documents that you have to file with the Admissions Office.