Health and Wellness Online Orientation
The Center for Health, Wellness & Personal Counseling
The Center for Health, Wellness & Personal Counseling is committed to serving the total health and wellness needs of each student, offering services that address physical health, mental health, as well as social and emotional well-being. Licensed RNs provide a full spectrum of medical services on a walk-in basis as well as emergency medical response. Licensed Personal Counselors may be seen by appointment for short-term mental health counseling on issues including, but not limited to, depression, anxiety, panic symptoms and thoughts of suicide. Mental health emergencies are handled on a walk-in or emergency referral basis. The Wellness staff focuses on a holistic approach to individual well-being and hosts programs on a broad range of mind-body issues. The Center also assists students in achieving their health and wellness goals, enabling them to make lifestyle choices which foster optimal physical, emotional and behavioral health. All services are provided at no cost in a culturally sensitive, accessible and confidential environment. Our facility is fully accessible and ADA compliant.
The primary services/responsibilities of the department include:
- Medical care and first aid for illness/injuries
- Emergency medical response in coordination with The Office of Public Safety
- Physician referrals for acute illness
- Blood pressure and blood sugar monitoring
- Health education/one-on-one support with health concerns
- Over-the-counter medications
- Emergency asthma medications and oxygen
- Tracking and enforcing compliance with state mandated immunizations
- Athletes’ physical exams in conjunction with college physician
- Collaborating with Nursing Dept. and Health Professions to assure medical compliance for participation in clinical site experiences
- Maintenance of employee medical records and student accident reports
- Workman’s Compensation initial medical evaluations for employees
- HIV testing/counseling in conjunction with Bergen County Health Dept.
- Employee flu shot clinic in conjunction with Bergen County Health Dept.
- Mental Health First-Aid Training
- Wellness Workshops and Peer Education Training
- Violence Awareness training
- Nutrition Awareness
- Wellness programs open to campus and community
- Mental Health Counseling
- Assistance with faculty and judicial issues
- Managing mental health issues including relationship concerns, stress, eating disorders, loss, substance abuse and alcohol
- Anger management workshops
- Participation in Behavioral Intervention Team
- Interdepartmental communication and outreach to provide comprehensive student services
The Center for Health, Wellness & Personal Counseling is located in room HS-100, Pitkin Education Center, Paramus Campus.
Email(s): [email protected]