All classes resume online Monday, March 23. Students must check their Bergen-issued email address and Moodle for directions from faculty. On-campus offices are closed; staff are all working remotely. Details at Bergen.edu/covid19.
How to Create a Policy
When it is determined that a policy is needed and does not already exist.
Before Creating a New Policy:
- Check the policies in Policy Central to be certain a policy does not already exist.
- Policy Justification:
- Why is this policy necessary?
- What are external trends as it relates to this policy?
- Policy Considerations:
- Whom does this policy affect?
- When will it become effective?
- Are there clear processes to carry out the policy?
- Are the steps easy to follow?
- Are offices and/or positions responsible for the policy identified?
Creating a New Policy:
- All proposed new policies need to be approved by the Executive Team member responsible for that division.
- Draft the policy.*
- Get input from Executive Team member(s), deans, department heads and colleagues.
- Make revisions, if necessary, to the draft.
- Send revised draft to the Executive Team member.
- Executive Team member will submit the policy to the PAC electronically.
For Executive Team Member:
- When you are ready to create the policy, send an email to the Policy Advisory Council. The Council Chair will send you the Policy and Procedure Review Form to complete.
- After the new policy is submitted, you will receive an email submission receipt.
- The PAC chair will share the policy with the Council members and will notify you:
- If additional information or changes are needed; or
- If the policy will be forwarded to the Executive Vice President and President for review.
- After the Executive Vice President and President review the policy, they may:
- Send it to the Board of Trustees for approval; or
- Send it back to the PAC chair for:
- Additional changes, or;
- PAC chair will share this with the PAC and the Executive Team member.
- To stop the policy from going forward.
- The PAC chair will notify the PAC and the Executive Team of the Executive Vice President and President’s decision.
Board of Trustees:
- If the Board of Trustees approves the new policy, see Follow-Up.
- If the Board of Trustees rejects the policy:
- The policy can be sent back to the Executive Vice President and President for revision (see Presidential Review) or
- No policy will be created.
- Once a new policy is approved by the Board of Trustees, the PAC chair will:
- Upload it to Policy Central.
- Notify the PAC and Executive Team member.
- Archive the policy.