All classes resume online Monday, March 23. Students must check their Bergen-issued email address and Moodle for directions from faculty. On-campus offices are closed; staff are all working remotely. Details at Bergen.edu/covid19.
How to Revise a Policy
When it is determined that a policy needs to be modified. This may include changes to reporting structure, procedure changes, or new requirements.
Before Revising a Policy:
- Check the policies in Policy Central to be certain that the policy has not already been revised.
- Revision Justification:
- Why is the revision necessary?
- What are external trends as it relates to this policy?
- Revision Considerations:
- Whom does this revision affect?
- When will it become effective?
- Revision Procedures:
- Are there clear processes to carry out the revisions to the policy?
- Are the steps easy to follow?
- If there are changes to offices and/or positions responsible for the policy, have they been identified?
Revising a Policy:
- All policy revisions need to be approved by the Executive Team member responsible for that division.
- Draft the revision.*
- Get input from Executive Team member(s), deans, department heads and colleagues.
- Make revisions to the draft.
- Send revised draft to the Executive Team member.
- Executive Team member will submit the policy to the PAC electronically.
For Executive Team Member:
- When you are ready to send the revised policy to the PAC, send an email to the Policy Advisory Council. The Council Chair will send you the Policy and Procedure Review Form to complete.
- After the revised policy is submitted, you will receive an email submission receipt.
- The PAC chair will share the revised policy with the Council members and will notify you:
- If additional information or changes are needed; or
- If the policy will be forwarded to the Executive Vice President and President for review.
After the Executive Vice President and President review the policy, they may:
- Send it to the Board of Trustees for approval; or
- Send it back to the PAC chair for:
- Additional changes, or;
- PAC chair will share this with the PAC and the Executive Team member.
- To stop the policy from going forward.
- The PAC chair will notify the PAC and the Executive Team of the Executive Vice President and President’s decision.
- Additional changes, or;
Board of Trustees:
- If the Board of Trustees approves the revised policy, see Follow-Up.
- If the Board of Trustees rejects the revised policy:
- The policy can be sent back to the Executive Vice President and President for revision (see Presidential Review) or
- The current policy will remain in place.
- Once a revised policy is approved by the Board of Trustees, the PAC chair will:
- Upload it to Policy Central.
- Notify the PAC and Executive Team member.
- Archive the policy.