Policy Advisory Council Charter
Statement of Need
- Periodically, it is necessary to review College policies and procedures to determine whether (a) an individual policy or procedure is still needed; (b) updates or other changes to a policy and/or procedure are needed; and (c) there are gaps indicating where new policies and/or procedures should be developed.
- Policies need to be presented in a common format and include consistent information.
The Policy Advisory Council (PAC) will:
- Create a process to review, delete, and revise Board of Trustees policies and procedures so that College policies and procedures are current and compliant with statutory requirements and law.
- Notify the College president of gaps indicating where new policies and/or procedures need to be developed.
- Coordinate with the Office of Documents & Records Management to archive all policies.
- Work with Information Technology to make all current policies available and accessible to the College community.
Policy Advisory Council (PAC)
Reporting to the College President, the PAC serves as an advisory council and bears primary responsibility to:
- Identify policies that need to be reviewed to ensure that they are current and compliant with all statutory requirements and law.
- Receive suggestions as well as make suggestions for new policy development.
- Assist the recommending unit/executive team member in the development, revision or deletion of policies.
- Confirm that new policies follow the approval process.
- Advise the President on proposed policies.
- Review existing policies on a three-year cycle.
- Develop and maintain a policy taxonomy.
- Assure that approved policies are available and accessible to the College community.
- Serve as a resource on policy making to administrators, faculty and staff.
- Serves as single point of contact.
- Updates College president on PAC activity.
- Keeps PAC members informed about all activity related to Board of Trustees policies and procedures.
- Arranges PAC meeting schedule and agenda.
- Leads PAC meetings.
- Coordinates database and website activity.
- Works with secretary to Board of Trustees as needed.
- Initial Council members will serve for one year (2018).
- Beginning in January 2019 and each January thereafter, council members will serve for a three-year term on a rotational basis with one-third of the members overlapping with new appointees. (During the first three years, some PAC members may serve less than three years.)
- The President will appoint the members of the PAC each fall from a cross-section of College departments.
- The College president will appoint the chair of the council.
- The executive team member forwards a policy action to the PAC. The PAC reviews document submission. If a policy impacts curriculum or related matters, the executive team member should seek input from the Faculty Senate and its standing committees.
- PAC makes a recommendation.
- Action: requires majority of Council
- If an action is necessary and the PAC is not meeting, PAC members can review the policy electronically. PAC members are expected to submit their approval/disapproval of the action to the PAC chair in a timely manner.
- PAC sends documentation to President.
- President sends documents to Board (for approval).
- PAC chairs coordinate database and website activity
- The PAC meets bi-annually (January and June).
- If necessary, the PAC may hold additional meetings.
Existing Policy Review Cycle
- All policies will be reviewed on a three-year cycle.
- The PAC chair will establish a staggered review schedule.
- Information Technology Department will be responsible.
- LaserFiche database will be used to store policies.
- Documents & Records Management will maintain all versions of a policy.
- Located under About Us on College website. “College Policies”
- Policies should be publicly searchable by keyword and text string; link to appropriate policy based on context of web page; include year approved next to policy number
- Valencia College website is a model.
- Also under About Us will be (1) Policy Action forms, and (2) Meeting minutes
- Section ____: Policy # – Version – Year approved
Section A: 001-001 (version 1) 2016
Section A: 001-002 (version 2) 2017