Policy Advisory Council Charter
Board of Trustees Policies
The Board of Trustees reviews policies that affect the entire college community. These policies, whether new or revised should be submitted to the PAC for approval. Policies that are no longer necessary should be submitted to the PAC for a recommendation of deletion. Policies limited to departmental operations may not need to be reviewed by the Board of Trustees.
Statement of Need
- Periodically, it is necessary to review College policies and procedures to determine whether (a) an individual policy or procedure is still needed; (b) updates or other changes to a policy and/or procedure are needed; and (c) there are gaps indicating where new policies and/or procedures should be developed.
- Policies need to be presented in a common format and include consistent information.
The Policy Advisory Council (PAC) will:
- Develop a process to review (update/amend), delete, and create Board of Trustees policies and procedures so that College policies and procedures are current and compliant with statutory requirements and law.
- Notify the College president of gaps indicating where new policies and/or procedures need to be developed.
- Coordinate with the Office of Documents & Records Management to archive all policies.
- Work with Information Technology to make all current policies available and accessible to the College community.
Policy Advisory Council (PAC)
Reporting to the College President, the PAC serves as an advisory council and bears primary responsibility to:
- Identify policies that need to be reviewed to ensure that they are current and compliant with all statutory requirements and law.
- Receive suggestions as well as make suggestions for new policy development.
- Assist the recommending unit/executive team member in the development, revision or deletion of policies.
- Confirm that new policies follow the approval process.
- Advise the President on proposed policies.
- Review existing policies on a three-year cycle.
- Develop and maintain a policy taxonomy.
- Assure that approved policies are available and accessible to the College community.
- Serve as a resource on policy making to administrators, faculty and staff.
- Serves as single point of contact.
- Updates College president on PAC activity.
- Keeps PAC members informed about all activity related to Board of Trustees policies and procedures.
- Arranges PAC meeting schedule and agenda.
- Leads PAC meetings.
- Coordinates database and website activity.
- Works with secretary to Board of Trustees as needed.
- Beginning in January 2019 and each January thereafter, council members will serve for a three-year term on a rotational basis with one-third of the members overlapping with new appointees. (During the first three years, some PAC members may serve less than three years.)
- The president will appoint the members of the PAC each fall from a cross-section of College departments.
- The College president will appoint the chair of the council.
New Policy/Existing Policy
- The executive team member submits a policy action to the PAC. The PAC reviews the policy. If a policy impacts curriculum or related matters, the executive team member should seek input from the Faculty Senate and its standing committees.
- The PAC makes a recommendation.
- All action requires majority vote of the PAC.
- If an action is necessary and the PAC is not meeting, PAC members can review the policy electronically. PAC members are expected to submit their approval/disapproval of the action to the PAC chair in a timely manner.
- PAC sends documentation to Executive Vice President and President for review.
- Approved policies go to the Board of Trustees. All other policies are referred back to the PAC for additional action.
- PAC chair coordinates database and website activity
Three Year Policy Review
All policies will be reviewed on a three-year cycle.
The PAC chair will establish a staggered review schedule.
- The three-year policy review takes place each January.
- The PAC reviews the policy before sending it to the Executive Team member responsible for the policy. Some considerations the PAC takes into account during its review include whether:
- A policy is clear.
- A policy is still relevant.
- Any changes need to be made.
- The policy goes to the Executive Team member responsible for the policy for review even if the policy doesn’t appear to need revision.
- The Executive Team member has 30 days to respond to the PAC chair. The Executive Team member notifies the PAC chair of the action needed:
- No change necessary.
- Amending policy.
- Updating policy.
- Deleting policy
- The PAC will confirm the changes at the June PAC meeting.
- PAC sends documentation to President for review.
- Approved policy amendments and deletions go to the Board of Trustees. All other policies are referred back to the PAC for additional action.
- PAC chair coordinates database and website activity.
PAC Meeting Schedule
- The PAC meets bi-annually (January and June).
- If necessary, the PAC may hold additional meetings.
- The Information Technology Department is responsible.
- The Laserfiche database will be used to store policies.
- Documents & Records Management will maintain all versions of a policy.
- Located under About Us on College website. “College Policies”
- Policies should be publicly searchable by keyword and text string; link to appropriate policy based on context of web page
Executive team members, faculty and staff
- The Policy Advisory Council is located under Faculty and Staff.
- Includes forms, Council member names, best practices
- Section ____: Policy # – Version – Year approved
Section A: 001-001 (version 1) 2016
Section A: 001-002 (version 2) 2017
Under Policy History, all policies will have listed, to be marked as appropriate:
Reviewed: _______ (date)
Updated: _______ (date)
Amended: _______ (date)
Reviewed: Date reviewed following three-year cycle review cycle (each Jan.)
Updated: Policies are noted as updated when changes made to the policy do not affect the content and/or intent of the policy. These changes include modifying procedures, revising outdated language and terminology, and grammar and formatting edits. Updated policies do not need to go to the president or Board of Trustees. Updated policies are reviewed by the PAC and sent to the Executive Team member for approval.
Procedure for updating policies:
- PAC updates policy.
- PAC chair sends updated policy to the Executive Team member responsible for the policy.
- Executive Team member reviews revisions and lets PAC chair know whether s/he accepts changes. If PAC doesn’t receive comment from the Executive Team member within 30 days, the PAC will update the policy on the College website.
Amended: Policies are noted as amended when substantive changes are made to the policy and affect the content and/or intent of the policy. Amended policies need to go to the president and Board of Trustees for approval.
Procedure for amending policies:
- The PAC does not amend policies unless requested by an Executive Team member.
- After a policy is amended, the PAC chair sends the amended policy to the Executive Team member responsible for the policy.
- The Executive Team member reviews the revisions. Once the Executive Team member is satisfied with the changes, s/he submits a Request to Revise form to the PAC.
- The policy will follow procedures found on the How to Revise Policy section of the College website.
Policies Not Reviewed by the PAC:
When a policy has been approved by the Board of Trustees without having first been reviewed by the PAC, the PAC chair will notify the PAC about the policy in an email.