The April 7 board of trustees meeting will take place via WebEx and telephone at 5 p.m. Click here for WebEx or call +1-415-655-0003 and use access code 470 464 248.
Cover Letter Guide
A cover letter is a formal way of introducing yourself to an employer. It also provides you with an opportunity to make a good first impression. Send a cover letter with your resume unless otherwise directed by the employer. Cover letters must be individually written each time that you apply for a job. Write your cover letter with care, since the employer often uses the letter to evaluate your writing ability and professionalism.
Cover Letter Writing Tips
- Address the letter to a particular individual and include their job title
- Personalize the letter according to each job for which you are applying
- Focus on what you can offer the employer
- Emphasize your most important qualifications and skills
- Tailor your background to the organization and the job for which you are applying
- Neatly type your letter on the same quality bond paper as your resume
- Mail your letter and resume in a matching envelope
- Make sure the letter is free of typos and grammatical errors
- Don’t forget to sign the letter
- Follow up with the employer as stated in the last paragraph of your letter
Elements of a Cover Letter
SAMPLE COVER LETTER
Ms. Barbara C. College
Dear Ms. Smith:
I am writing to apply for the Banquet Manager position that was advertised in the March 21 edition of The Record.
As my resume indicates, I have been working as a Restaurant Manager for the past seven years. I received my A.A.S. in Hospitality Management this past December. I feel that my educational background and work experience provide me with the skills necessary to succeed in a hotel/banquet setting.
Your advertisement calls for a detail-oriented manager with experience in supervising and training restaurant service personnel. During my years in the hospitality industry, I have managed large food, liquor, and restaurant supply inventories and negotiated contracts with vendors. Innovative marketing strategies that I implemented increased restaurant profits by 20%. Strong motivational skills have enabled me to maintain a productive staff committed to quality service. As a result of the formalized training and salary review programs that I developed, employee retention increased significantly.
My resume is enclosed for your review. I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you to further discuss the position and my qualifications. I will contact you in a week to see if an interview can be arranged. If you have questions, feel free to call me at (201) 447-7171. I look forward to speaking with you.