- High School – College Placement Biology with a laboratory component with a B grade or higher; and, Algebra II
- College Substitution – Applicants who have not taken CP Biology must take BIO 109 Anatomy & Physiology I.
- Applicants must either test out or place into a remedial math course.
- Take the College Math/ English Placement Test – This is a requirement for all incoming students who wish to apply to any college program.
- Students who place into basic mathematics and algebra are advised that it will take 2 years of completing these requirements before being considered for admissions to the Respiratory Care program
- Application to the Respiratory Care Program
- Apply on line as a change of curriculum
- Use this form if you are presently a degree- seeking student in another program at Bergen Community College
- Complete a Direct Application.
- Use this form if you are applying to Bergen Community College first time; or (b) a non-degree seeking student
- Minimum GPA for admissions eligibility – 2.5
- Students must complete Algebra, Biology with a lab and Chemistry with a lab.
- College substitutions: BIO109, MAT040, CHM100
- Successful completion of a criminal background check. The results of the background check must come back negative.
- HESI Admission Assessment Examination – Respiratory Care Modules:
- Biology (AP HS students only
- Anatomy & Physiology (College students only)
- Reading Comprehension
- Personality Profile
- Learning Style
Once applications are reviewed, negative criminal background checks and the HESI Admission Assessment Exams are received, admissions will notify the students of their status.
Once applications are reviewed, a negative criminal background check is received, and it is determined that you are eligible, then you will receive an acceptance letter from the admissions office.
It is strongly recommended that students complete as many general education and science courses before applying to the respiratory care program. The respiratory therapy core courses require a substantial commitment and additional courses will decrease the amount of time and focus needed to be successful in the core respiratory care.
Have all official transcripts released to BCC, if you have not already done so. Deadline to apply is February 1.
- A criminal background check is required for all persons who attend clinical education classes at our hospital affiliates. This is a requirement mandated by the hospital accreditation agency.
- Students who have a background issue may defer enrollment until the next year. Students are advised that all must be cleared by the enrollment date deadline of February 1.
Prepare for Program’s Admissions
- ALL remediation courses
- BIO 109 Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIO 209 Anatomy & Physiology II
- A college level math course
- Earn a GPA of at least 2.0 or higher to apply to the program
*In order to be eligible to take MAT 035, all students must take the Accuplacer test. All students enrolled at Bergen Community College must take this test.
Any student not meeting these requirements will not be eligible for admission to the respiratory care program.
It is strongly recommended that students complete as many general education and science courses before applying to the Respiratory Care program. The core courses require a substantial commitment and additional courses will decrease the amount of time and focus needed to be successful in the core Respiratory Care courses.