Bergen Community College administers the Basic Skills Accuplacer examination to determine a student’s levels in English, Mathematics, and Algebra.
The results of this test determine a student’s required entry level courses in both English and mathematics.
Accuplacer Entrance Exam Checklist
- Apply to Bergen Community College
- Receive BCC Student ID#
- Check for Waivers
- Check website for In-person testing schedule and Remote online options
- Need a Valid Picture ID
Who Must Take a Basic Skills Placement Test?
- All full-time and part-time students in a degree or certificate program are required to test before registering for all courses.
- All full-time and part-time non-degree seeking students who wish to enroll in English or mathematics courses.
- All full-time and part-time non-degree seeking students who have accumulated eleven (11) attempted credits (based on completed courses earning one of the following grades: A, B, C, CNP, CP, D, E, R, W, AU, Q,M, N, or INC.
What conditions can waive the placement test requirement?
For the placement test waiver criteria, please visit the “Placement Test Waiver Information” Web page for details.
What is on the Basic Skills Placement test?
The Next Generation Accuplacer Basic Skills Test includes:
- Arithmetic (20 untimed multiple-choice questions)
- Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics (20 untimed multiple-choice questions)
- Reading (20 untimed multiple-choice questions)
- 80-minute timed essay
How to prepare for the Basic Skills Placement test?
Students are strongly encouraged to study for the placement exam.
You may find available study guides on the Accuplacer Study Guides Web page.
Is there a fee for the Basic Skills Placement test?
Remote online testing is offered through Examity for a $25 fee.
Note: The $25 fee is currently being waived.
How to schedule an appointment for the Basic Skills Placement test?
Option 1: In-person testing
- In person testing is available, by appointment only, between 9:30 A.M. and 1:00 P.M.
- To schedule an in-person testing appointment, please use the following form/portal:
- To take an in-person test/exam, please report to Room S-127, Pitkin Education Center, at the college’s main campus in Paramus, NJ.
- Bring a valid physical photo ID with you. Pictures of ID card on electronic devices (e.g.cellphone, tablet, camera…) are not accepted as proof of identity.
- There is no fee.
Option 2: Remote testing
- Students that do not qualify for a waiver and are interested in taking the Accuplacer entrance exam online should email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and instructions.
1. No test will be administered without proper identification.
2. Students are not permitted to use a cellphone to take the placement test.
How to Read Placement Test Results
The required courses resulting from the test scores are listed at the end of the Accuplacer score report, which the student receives at the completion of the test.
Placement Test Results Interpretation
- Upon completing the Bergen Community College (BCC) Basic Skills Test, you will receive the placement test results that will be used to place you in the appropriate coursework at BCC.
- The Basic Skills Test results report will include the instructions on how to interpret the test scores with respect to the type of test taken (Classic Accuplacer Test vs. Next Generation Accuplacer Test).
Notes: You may wish to challenge these results by retaking any portion of the examinations later. It is strongly recommended that you study for the Challenge exam. Only one challenge exam will be permitted per day.
Placement Test Results Interpretation Referrals
- Test results interpretation & Help with selecting classes: Contact Academic Advising Center at email@example.com
- AIMS Program: Contact Eileen Fitzgerald at firstname.lastname@example.org
What to do after taking the Placement Test?
It is strongly recommended to work with an academic advisor before registering for classes once the placement testing has been satisfied.
For help with selecting classes, feel free to visit the New Student Advising Web page for details.
You may also email email@example.com with general questions.
- For questions or further information, please contact The Office of Testing Services at (201) 447-7203 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All communications to the BCC Office of Testing Services should be done using your BCC student portal email account and should include your BCC student ID number.
Placement Test Results Release/Disclosure Statement
- The Office of Testing Services cannot answer specific questions over the phone about a student or the student’s placement test results.
- All students must come to the office in room S-127 with government issued photo identification to receive specific information about their student record.
- Third parties never receive specific information about a student as per The Family Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). For more information about FERPA at BCC – click here.
Note to Guidance Counselors, Testing Center Staff, and other School Officials
- Please have the students upload the actual waiver request, along with their supporting documents.
- The status of the student’s waiver request goes directly back to the student’s BCC email address.