Bergen Community College administers the Basic Skills Accuplacer examination to determine a student’s levels in English, Mathematics, and Algebra.
The results of this test determine a student’s required entry level courses in both English and mathematics.
Accuplacer Entrance Exam Checklist
- Apply to Bergen Community College
- Receive BCC Student ID#
- Check for Waivers
- Make an Appointment
- Pay a Fee
- Need a Valid Picture ID
Who Must Take a Basic Skills Placement Test?
- All full-time and part-time students in a degree or certificate program are required to test before registering for all courses.
- All full-time and part-time non-degree seeking students who wish to enroll in English or mathematics courses.
- All full-time and part-time non-degree seeking students who have accumulated eleven (11) attempted credits (based on completed courses earning one of the following grades: A, B, C, CNP, CP, D, E, R, W, AU, Q,M, N, or INC.
What conditions can waive the placement test requirement?
For the placement test waiver criteria, please visit the “Placement Test Waiver Information” Web page for details.
What is on the Basic Skills Placement test?
The Next Generation Accuplacer Basic Skills Test includes:
- Arithmetic (20 untimed multiple-choice questions)
- Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics (20 untimed multiple-choice questions)
- Reading (20 untimed multiple-choice questions)
- 80-minute timed essay
How to prepare for the Basic Skills Placement test?
Students are strongly encouraged to study for the placement exam.
You may find available study guides on the Accuplacer Study Guides Web page.
Is there a fee for the Basic Skills Placement test?
Remote online testing is offered through Examity for a $25 fee.
How to schedule an appointment for the Basic Skills Placement test?
- Option 1: In-person testing – Currently suspended due to COVID-19.
- Option 2: Remote online testing – Students that do not qualify for a waiver and are interested in taking the Accuplacer entrance exam online should email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information and instructions.
1. No test will be administered without proper identification.
2. Students are not permitted to use a cellphone to take the placement test.
How to Read Placement Test Results
The required courses resulting from the test scores are listed at the end of the Accuplacer score report, which the student receives at the completion of the test.
If you have taken the Accuplacer examination and have a placement in remedial English or mathematics please click the placement below for specific information about your placement(s).
Placement Test Results Interpretation Referrals
Placement Test Results Interpretation Reference Materials
Notes: The MAT 040/048 placement is major driven. For information about which degree programs require which placement please review these documents:
What to do after taking the Placement Test Results?
It is strongly recommended to work remotely with an academic advisor before registering for classes once the placement testing has been satisfied.
To request an appointment with an academic advisor for help with selecting classes, feel free to visit the New Student Advising Web page for details or use the form below.
You may also email email@example.com with general questions.
- For questions or further information, please contact The Office of Testing Services at (201) 447-7203 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All communications to the BCC Office of Testing Services should be done using your BCC student portal email account and should include your BCC student ID number.
- The Office of Testing Services cannot answer specific questions over the phone about a student or the student’s placement test results.
- All students must come to the office in room S-127 with government issued photo identification to receive specific information about their student record.
- Third parties never receive specific information about a student as per The Family Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). For more information about FERPA at BCC – click here.