Vice President of Student Affairs
Posting date: October 1, 2021
Bergen Community College is a nationally recognized, award-winning, comprehensive community college. More students graduate with associate degrees and certificates from Bergen than any other college in New Jersey. Located in northeastern New Jersey just minutes from New York City, Bergen’s main campus in Paramus features vast physical resources including the Technology Education Center (opened 2003), the region’s only Health Professions Integrated Teaching Center (opened 2016) and the cutting-edge STEM Student Research Center (opened 2019). With two additional locations, one in Hackensack (Ciarco Learning Center) and the other in Lyndhurst (Bergen Community College at the Meadowlands), Bergen provides high quality educational services and programs throughout the county to more than 19,000 credit and non-credit students.
Since its founding in 1965, more than 740,000 students have taken classes at Bergen, with countless others visiting for community and cultural events. The College boasts an accomplished faculty, cutting-edge facilities and opportunities for cultural awareness, civic-engagement and service-learning.
Graduating students use Bergen’s reputation as a top community college to propel them to institutions nationwide – including all eight Ivy League colleges. Students in career programs enter the workforce in a wide variety of fields, from healthcare to information technology and culinary arts. Bergen graduates earn the highest salaries among the state’s two-year institutions, even out-earning peers from some four-year colleges. Bergen is a leader among its peer institutions. In 2019, Bergen was awarded the $12 million NJ Health Works grant from the U.S. Department of Labor to lead a consortium of partners to expand and enhance apprenticeship programs for more than 5,000 New Jersey residents. Partners include 14 New Jersey community colleges and healthcare partners such as CVS Health and the RWJBarnabas Health system.
Bergen Community College remains proud of its ethic of care for its students, faculty and staff and invites applications from those wishing to join a community of professionals dedicated to student success.
The Division of Student Affairs provides mission-critical services for the College at its Paramus campus, Lyndhurst and Hackensack locations. Responsible for enrollment management, outreach, admissions, veterans and military affairs, financial aid, athletics, student life, student conduct, health services, office of specialized services, advising, and counseling, the division strives to support and develop the College’s students as they make life-altering, consequential contributions to their future. From student experience to access, affordability, and its commitment to excellence, the division is deeply involved in the life and mission of the College.
This is a remarkable leadership opportunity at New Jersey’s largest community college. Reporting directly to President Eric M. Friedman and serving as a senior member of the President’s Cabinet, the Vice President of Student Affairs will be a strategic and experienced leader who is adept at proactively taking initiative to enhance student experience, and has the collaborative and interpersonal skills to operate effectively across multiple constituencies.
The Vice President of Student Affairs is a critical strategist and operational director whose foremost objective is to lead the expansion of the College’s enrollment and outreach efforts. The selected candidate will lead and support the development of a new strategic enrollment plan to attract new students to the College and strengthen retention efforts for current students. Experience with and commitment to the College’s designation as a Minority-Serving Institution (MSI) and an Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) will be important for the next Vice President. He/She will collaborate with faculty, staff, administration, student organizations, and community groups to ensure equity, access, and success.
- Serve as the strategic leader for enrollment management outreach, admissions, veterans and military affairs, financial aid, athletics, student life, student conduct, health services, office of specialized services, advising and counseling, career services, high school and university relations.
- Align the work of the Student Affairs Division with institutional priorities guided by the College’s strategic plan, its mission/vision/values, and the goals of the President and Board of Trustees.
- Develop, plan, and participate in the implementation of college-wide goals. Initiate and recommend actions to accomplish these objectives. Lead a diverse team in making data-informed decisions. Actively participate in strategic planning and goal-setting activities pertaining to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Serve as a catalyst for the expansion of existing, successful programs and services while developing student-centered initiatives and programs that support student success and enhance student retention and completion.
- Develop and manage student service metrics and monitoring trends, using such information to adjust programs with a focus on best practice and continuous improvement.
- Guide a high functioning leadership team that sets and accomplishes goals. Provide professional development opportunities to support team members’ effectiveness. Measure the performance of individuals, teams, and departments, and assess performance and progress with a focus on student success.
- Ensure superior, proactive, and responsive student and community service.
- Lead with an ethic of care.
- Align the Division of Student Affairs with best practices for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Participate in robust assessment of all initiatives and fulfill key accreditor expectations.
- Perform other duties, as assigned or required.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field, required. Doctoral degree, Ed.D. or Ph.D. preferred.
- Extensive experience (10+ years) in student services with a minimum of 3 years as a student services manager, required.
- Specific experience and track record of success in enrollment management, required.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, required.
- Work-related experience using college software platforms such as Ellucian’s Colleague, within a college or university, with a proven track record of positive impact on student success, required.
- Previous student services management experience in a unionized environment, preferred.
- Previous experience creating evidence-based reports on relevant programs and services, required.
- Experience with and commitment to working at an HSI or MSI, preferred.
- Other skills/abilities:
- Strong, demonstrated understanding of the mission of the community college.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, negotiation, analytical, presentation, and communication skills.
- Must be well-versed in student service-related federal and state laws and practices.
Review of applications:
Initial review of resumes will begin on November 10, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
For full consideration please send current resume, a cover letter that specifically addresses each of the major areas of responsibility (not to exceed 5 pages), and a list of five professional references (including at least one direct report and one supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies. Bergen Community College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, gender, age, disabling condition, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veterans status or other non-job related criteria. Equal employment opportunity includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, hiring, retention, tenure, promotion, transfer, compensation, fringe benefits and other terms and conditions of employment in accordance with state laws and regulations.