All classes resume online Monday, March 23. Students must check their Bergen-issued email address and Moodle for directions from faculty. On-campus offices are closed; staff are all working remotely. Details at Bergen.edu/covid19.
What is the Goal of the Education program at Bergen?
The goal of this program is to help prepare our students to be successful in the teaching profession. Teaching has become a highly competitive field in the state of NJ. Thus, faculty has high expectations for our students.
How do I know what courses to take?
First, students should consult the college catalog to get an overview of the program. Please keep in mind that what is listed in the catalog is intended to provide a general overview of the program. Specific transfer institutions should be considered when selecting certain courses.
Is student-teaching or work outside of Bergen required?
A traditional student-teaching assignment will be completed by students at the senior college level. EDU-461 Co-Op Work Experience (Education) requires 45 hours of observation in an educational setting of choice. Students pursuing the AAS degree in Early Childhood are required to complete a field experience.
How important is Grade Point Average (GPA) for transfer into a teacher education program?
Generally speaking, GPA is very important for an education major. Although transfer institutions have different requirements for entry, The State of New Jersey requires a minimum GPA of 2.75 for certification. In addition, four-year colleges require a minimum GPA of 2.75 to be eligible for student teaching.
What skills & abilities are required to be an Education major?
- Regular class attendance.
- Have an attitude of engagement.
- Be prepared for class.
- Demonstrate excellent writing skills with help from the writing center, if necessary.
- Demonstrate excellent speaking and language skills.
- Possess the ability to think critically (i.e. comprehend, interpret, analyze, synthesize and evaluate) which is essential to the problem-solving technique.
- Ability to observe classroom situations skillfully.
- Maintain a high GPA for easy transfer.
- Flexible time schedule is necessary to fulfill field-work experience courses.