WHAT IS A LEARNING COMMUNITY?
Two or more course sections in the same semester are linked together, and the same students enroll in both course sections.
WHY SHOULD I JOIN A LEARNING COMMUNITY?
- Convenient Scheduling: The linked courses are often scheduled back-to-back.
- Deeper Learning: Professors integrate assignments and build a common theme that is intellectually engaging.
- Support System: The community structure makes it easier to meet peers, make friends, and get assistance from professors and support staff.
- Enriching Experiences: You can participate in special activities, events, and service learning opportunities.
WHAT DO STUDENTS SAY ABOUT LEARNING COMMUNITIES?
- “You are able to learn about two subjects and how they relate to each other.”
- “Mastery learning at its finest”
- “It’s fun!”
- “I made more friends.”
- “Because I am comfortable with the group, I participate more, which leads to better understanding and higher grades.”
HOW DO I JOIN A LEARNING COMMUNITY?
- Check our Current Offerings page.
- Choose a Learning Community of interest to you. Each Learning Community has a short course description. It tells you which two courses are linked together, what subjects you are going to study, and what section numbers, days, and times are for each Learning Community.
- You can register for a learning Community online or in person. Remember that you are automatically registering for two courses (6 credits) linked in a learning community.
- If you need help with registration or for more information, please contact Maria Kasparova at firstname.lastname@example.org, Eileen Fitzgerald at email@example.com or Laura Ochoa at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by our Learning Communities office is in L-333 (Pitkin).
For information about Learning Communities for Faculty please visit: bergen.edu/faculty-staff/faculty/learning-communities-for-faculty/