As a means to meet the needs of our growing student population, Deaf Services is seeking both certified and qualified part-time interpreters and c-print captionists to work in the higher education setting with competitive pay rates.
If you are interested in joining our team act now!
Please send or email a letter of interest and your resume to:
Bergen Community College
C/O Office of Specialized Services
400 Paramus Road,
Paramus, NJ 07652
Outline of Qualifications
In an effort to provide the highest quality services, the following qualifications are standard for employment as a part-time interpreter in Deaf Services.
Before you apply for a part-time interpreter position, you must meet a least of three of the following minimum eligibility requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Interpreter Training Program graduate
- Two years professional interpreting experience in various venues
- DDHH state screenings (out of state screening will be considered)
- RID certification
The following are accepted documentation of qualifications that must be presented at the time of initial interview:
- DDHH Screening Letter or other accepted state evaluation statement.
- Copy of diploma from an accredited college.
- RID Certificate/Letter.
The following are NOT accepted credentials:
- NAD Certification
- EIPA Assessments.
Interpreters who are not certified are expected to obtain professional credentials i.e. RID National Interpreter Certification (NIC) within a reasonable time frame.
Advantages of Working at Bergen Community College
Deaf Services provides services for a wide range of students with various communication preferences, a pool of 25-30 interpreters, certified and/or qualified, and c-print service providers. Interpreters are hired as part-time employees, working a maximum of 19 hours per week and are subject to a contractual agreement with the Office of Specialized Services.
Working as a service provider at Bergen is a unique and beneficial experience.
Advantages to working for Bergen CC include:
- Blocked scheduled work hours
- Guaranteed work for a full semester of classes
- A wide range of work topics and consumers
- Flexible and approachable work staff
- Networking opportunities.