SIGMA CHI ETA- National Honorary Society for Undergraduates in Two-Year Communication Programs. Sigma Chi Eta (SCH) is the official community college honor society of the National Communication Association (NCA) with more than 45 chapters across the United States. Sigma Chi Eta, which is represented by the Greek letters S, C, and H, symbolize “Students in Communication with Honors.” The purpose is to recognize the work of outstanding communication students and explore options for community college students to transfer to a four-year college or university or enter the workforce.
The six goals of Sigma Chi Eta:
- Recognize, foster and reward outstanding scholastic achievement in communication studies
- Stimulate interest in the field of communication
- Promote and encourage professional development among communication majors
- Provide an opportunity to discuss and exchange ideas in the field of communication
- Establish and maintain closer relationships between faculty and students
- Explore options for graduate education in communication studies
Alpha Mu is Bergen Community College’s chapter of Sigma Chi Eta. Alpha means “strength and foundation in a society.” Mu means “stability and protection.” Alpha Mu was chartered in December 2012.
Students are eligible to join Alpha Mu as full lifetime members. To qualify for full lifetime membership, students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete 12 semester credit hours (18 quarter credit-hours) at their current institution or the equivalent number of hours at a transfer institution or the equivalent number of hours through life-long learning credit
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 for all courses taken
- Complete the equivalent of 3 courses or 9 semester credit hours (12 quarter credit-hours) in communication studies
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.25 for all communication studies courses taken
- Currently be enrolled as a student in good standing, as determined by the institution’s policies
One time membership dues include lifetime membership in Sigma Chi Eta.
For additional information, please visit Shailly Mahajan, secretary for the Communication Department, in Pitkin, A336, (201) 447-7167.
In order to become an official member of Sigma Chi Eta, please follow these steps:
- Complete the Membership Application and checklist (available in the Communication Department, which is located in Pitkin, A336).
- Print out a copy of your transcript from Webadvisor.
- Make a check/or money order payable to “Bergen Community College” in the amount of $45.00 for lifetime membership in Sigma Chi Eta, certificate, pin, and honor cords for graduation.
- Return the membership application, checklist, copy of the transcript, and the $45.00 check/or money order to the Communication Department.