Intercultural Conversation Partners (ICP) is a campus wide program that was created by Professors Gina Costa and Heidi Lieb which is a unique way for Bergen students to connect with one another while learning about culture and diversity. The goals of the ICP program are to strengthen communication skills, expand cultural knowledge, promote cultural awareness and build relationships among students. Every semester, Bergen students become “Conversation Partners” and volunteer time to meet with International/ESL students to engage in weekly conversation sessions in C-212. Through these conversation sessions, students build connections with one another and learn about the importance of cultural diversity. They converse, form friendships and have fun!
The benefits of the ICP program are endless, for both the International/ESL students and the Conversation Partner volunteers. View ICP Volunteer flyer.
International/ESL students who participate in ICP will:
- Experience natural conversation outside of the classroom
- Learn conversation skills, vocabulary and listening comprehension strategies
- Build confidence and self-esteem
- Meet other Bergen students and feel connected to the campus community
- Learn about American culture
Conversation Partners will:
- Earn Service Learning Credits
- Gain volunteer experience which is helpful for resumes and employment
- Improve communication and listening skills
- Gain firsthand knowledge about various cultures
- Receive an honorary medal at BCC graduation
To become a Conversation Partner, or for more information about ICP,
please contact Professor Gina Costa at [email protected]