The admission process for Turning Point program is currently open for Fall 2022 and will remain open on a rolling basis.
The Turning Point program accepts up to 16 students per year.
All information received with the application is confidential and not shared with any outside agencies unless there is a written agreement provided by the applicant.
Turning Point Program Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 30 years old.
- A clear and well documented diagnosis of an intellectual disability must be present within the supportive documentation submitted with the application packet. Meaning a disability that is “characterized by significant limitations both in intellectual functioning and in adaptive behavior as expressed in conceptual, social and practical adaptive skills” (AAIDD definition).
- Applicants must present a means of communication including basic skills in functional literacy and numeracy, which is supported by the submitted documentation.
- Applicants must demonstrate appropriate conduct and level of independence to participate successfully in the program.
- Applicants must demonstrate a strong desire to continue their education, attain competitive employment upon program completion and have the ability to benefit.
Turning Point Program Application Process
- Applications are reviewed by the Admissions Committee once a COMPLETE application packet has been received.
- Applicants who meet the criteria for the program will be notified, and invited for an interview with the Admissions Committee.
- Applicants who are chosen to move on in the admissions process will be contacted shortly after their interview to schedule another campus visit where they will partake in a shadowing day.
- Candidates will be notified with final decisions after they have completed the admission process.
- Families are required to report how the student will be funded for the program by July 1, 2022.
- Students will schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor to choose an elective for the fall semester.
- Students will attend a mandatory late Summer orientation.