Certificate Programs

F-1 students are eligible for certificate programs that are full-time (12 or more credits per semester) and are at least one year (two semesters) in duration.

F-1 students may apply for the certificate program online, however additional documents must be mailed directly to the International Student Center. 

Bergen Community College
International Student Center
Pitkin Education Center, Room C-102
400 Paramus Rd

Paramus, NJ 07652

All applicants must submit the following:

  • An application (paper or online) – Students who have already attended BCC must submit a separate application for a certificate program.  Please write “Returning Student” on the application.
  • Copies of all F-1 immigration documents (visa, I-94 front and back, passport, I-20s)
  • A written statement (one paragraph) describing your most recent educational pursuits and how this certificate program will benefit you as an F-1 student.
  • Financial agreement of support and bank statement.
  • Transcripts showing any education completed in the United States or proof of high school completion abroad.

F-1 Eligible Certificate Programs

Division of Business, Arts and Social Sciences

  • Computer Animation
  • Computer Graphics
  • Computer Technical Support
  • Culinary Arts
  • Culinary Science
  • E-Commerce: Business Emphasis
  • Event Planning and Management
  • Grounds Management
  • Hospitality Management
  • Music Business
  • Small Business Management
  • Database Programming and Administration

Division of Mathematics, Science and Technology

  • Floral Design Landscaping
  • Office Technology

Division of Health Professions

  • Exercise Science
  • Medical Office Administrative Assistant 

Additional Information

An admissions representative can be reached at 201.689.7601 to answer any questions concerning admission to the above mentioned certificate programs.

F-1 students will need to prove English proficiency (via testing or through transfer credits).  If a student places into the ESL Department, s/he will be advised to complete the ALP program and then begin the certificate program.

An I-20 extension will be given for this purpose if needed.  See the Testing Center for details on the Level of English Placement (LOEP) test and waiver.

Students may apply for post completion optional practical training (OPT), work authorization, upon completion of the certificate; approval of the work authorization is at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security.

F-1 students pay the Visa Tuition Rate and the one-time F-1 fee (if applicable).  Contact the Bursar for more information.  A payment plan is available.  In addition, students may have funds wired directly to the College.