Does Bergen Community College Provide Housing?

The College is not able to provide temporary or residence housing to students or family members.

Who should be my sponsor?

The United States government requires that you have financial support to cover the full costs of your studies and living expenses (estimated at $22,000 per year).

Anyone can be your sponsor, including yourself, as long as financial requirements are met. It is also possible to have more than one sponsor. You might have one sponsor for your academic costs and another sponsor for your living expenses.

Where should I bring my completed international admissions packet?

Please bring your admission materials to the International Student Center (Room SC-110), submit the documents as pdf files to , or mail the completed materials to:

The International Student Center
Bergen Community College
400 Paramus Rd
Paramus, New Jersey 07652 USA

Applications will be reviewed and an I-20 will be issued as quickly as possible. The processing time is normally about 2-3 weeks.

Are there any other forms I need to bring with me to Bergen Community College?

It is extremely important that you complete the mandatory Medical History Form. The health examination can be performed either in your home country or in the US upon arrival. You will have to show proof of immunization against Measles, Mumps and Rubella in English. It is extremely important that students submit necessary health records.
Please visit Health Services for more information.

How much does it cost to study at Bergen Community College?

As an international student, you will be paying out-of-county tuition rates. This information can be found on the Bursar’s portion of the website and in the current college catalog. Please know that F-1 students must register for 12 credits for the fall and spring semesters. Many students chose to take 15 credits. You will need at least $22,000 (estimated) per year for tuition and fees. You will also need to pay for your own personal expenses (housing, books, transportation, etc.)

I will be transferring to Bergen Community College from another US institution. Where can I find the Transfer Recommendation form?

Please refer to the Transfer F-1 Student Application Packet.

When can I apply for admission to receive an I-20?

Applications for the Fall semester should be submitted by June 15.
The deadline for students transferring to Bergen Community College from another US institution for the Fall semester is August 15.
Applications for the Spring semester should be submitted by October 15.
The deadline for students transferring to Bergen Community College from another institution for the Spring semester is December 1.

Deadlines are flexible with the exception for those who want to change their immigration status.
Change of status deadlines are: June 1 for Fall and November 1 for Spring.

Is there an application fee?

No, Bergen Community College does not charge an application fee.

What can I get ready prior to receiving an international admissions packet?

You should start by requesting an official copy of your grades and proof of graduation. This must be an official, original copy and must be translated into English by a certified translator. You can also determine who will be your financial sponsor, who is the person paying for your expenses while you are studying in the US.

What kind of testing is required?

Standardized tests (e.g. SAT, TOEFL, IELTS…) are not required for admission.
However, if you have taken the SAT or IELTS you may be exempt from taking certain sections of the placement testing depending on your scores and test completion date.
For the placement test waiver eligibility requirements, visit the Placement Test Waiver Information page.

How do I arrange to take the placement tests?

Once you are admitted to the college, you will receive email notifying you of testing dates/times that are available. You may test most week days upon your arrival to Bergen Community College. No appointment is necessary.
For more information on testing, please visit Testing.

When do I need to pay my tuition bill?

You will only receive your bill after you have taken your placement test or have been exempted from testing, and have registered for courses. Since you will be charged for the number of credits for which you register, your bill may not be the same each semester.
You will be able to pay the Bursar (One Stop Center) with cash (US dollars), credit card, debit card, or a check/money order as long as it is drawn on a US bank. You can also pay your bill on-line with a credit card through the Bergen Student Portal/Self-Service.
A tuition payment plan is available. See the Bursar’s Office Website for details.

I am waiting for my change of status to F-1 to be approved. What happens if my change of status is not processed before the start of classes?

The answer to this question depends on what your current status is.
Please contact the ISC to discuss your specific case.

I have completed college/university courses in the United States? May I receive credit for this work?

Upon acceptance to Bergen Community College, you will need to submit an official college/university transcript to the BCC (Room SC-110) for an evaluation.
Please allow 4-6 weeks for this process to be completed.

I have completed college/university courses outside of the United States? May I receive credit for this work?

You will need to have your credits professionally evaluated by an approved evaluation agency.
You will need to request that a detailed course-by-course analysis is done. Approved evaluators are listed on the NACES website.

Are there scholarships available?

Bergen Community College has a limited number of scholarships for international students (Bergen Community College Foundation Scholarships).

There are organizations that provide scholarships or loans for international students. Please visit the links below: