Do I need to submit medical documentation to Bergen?

Yes, Bergen Community College maintains a safe environment and must comply with New Jersey State Law requiring students to have certain immunizations and/or tests. Your student Medical Record, including up-to-date immunization records, physical examination, must be submitted to HS-100 by the end of your first semester. For more information on your required immunizations, please visit HS-100, or refer to the flyer that you will receive in your admission package.

You may also visit the Health Services site for more information and forms.

Do I need to buy medical insurance at Bergen?

International students are strongly encouraged to purchase health insurance. The College does not endorse one particular international student health insurance company.

For additional international student insurance, you may want to look at the following sites:

What is SEVIS?

SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. It is the system used by the US government to track all those in F and J status.

What is a Visa?

Your Visa is your physical visa paperwork in your passport. It is your “key” to get inside of the United States.

What is “Status”?

Your status is your reason for being in the United States, if you hold an F-1 visa,your reason is to study.

What is an I-94?

The form I-94 is a record of admission to and departure from the United States. It indicates how long a person can remain in the U.S. All non-immigrants are given a form I-94 upon entry to the U.S. The I-94 states the visa classification under which the person entered and how long the person may remain in the U.S. For F-1 students the I-94 should indicate ‘D/S’, which means duration of status.

What is ‘D/S’ on my I-94 card?

‘D/S’ stand for Duration of Status. This means that you may remain in the U.S. for as long as you are in status. If you are an F visa holder and your I-94 card says something other than “D/S” (for example, if a date is printed), please bring it to an International Student Counselor so that we can help to fix the problem.

What if my F-1 student visa has expired?

You are permitted to stay in the United States on an expired F-1 visa as long as you maintain you student status. However, if you are returning home or traveling to another country, you must have a valid visa to return to the United States. For more information on this, please visit the following link: REVALIDATING YOUR VISA. Your visa is like your key to get into the USA. You do not need your key again, until you must re-enter the USA.

My I-20 will expire before I complete my studies: You are required to have a valid, non- expired SEVIS I-20 at all times. If the end date on your I-20 is approaching, make an appointment with an International Student Counselor. We will provide you with a new I-20 if you do in fact need more time to complete your studies, by doing an extension on your I-20. In order to obtain an extension, please bring in an up-to-date bank statement proving the amount of money on your I-20, and if you have a sponsor, you will also need to bring in a signed agreement of support. For more information, visit this page: EXTENDING YOUR I-20 PAGE

Have more questions? Email us at or call us at 001 201 689-7601 to make an appointment with your International Student Counselor. Walk in hours are also available.