Step 2: Complete the Financial Aid Form
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
The FAFSA is how the U.S. Department of Education determines how much financial assistance a student will be granted. To complete the application, please:
- Apply for a FSA ID at https://fsaid.ed.gov – student and parent (if dependent)
- Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov and include Bergen Community College’s Federal School Code 004736
- Once you submit the FAFSA, click “Optional” on the FAFSA submission page to complete the additional questions, which allow you to apply for New Jersey financial assistance. If you are not able to open the link, you can complete the questions at www.hesaa.org
- You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the U.S. Department of Education within one week of submitting your FAFSA, which will summarize the information you entered. This report will be sent by email or mail and will also provide an estimate of the financial aid you may be eligible for.
- Activate your Bergen email account and create a Portal account
Once you submit a FAFSA, you will receive information from the Office of Financial Aid through your Portal and email accounts. At my.bergen.edu you can:
- Track your financial aid status by logging into Web Advisor, “Financial Aid for Students” and “Financial Information for Students”
- Track any future changes/adjustments to your awards or financial aid status by logging into Web Advisor, “Financial Aid for Students” and “Account Summary”
- Office of Financial Aid document request
The U.S. Department of Education interacts with various federal agencies. The information on your FAFSA is crossreferenced with the records of those agencies. If there is information on a FAFSA that does not match with any agency, it will be “Selected for Verification.” If a FAFSA is “Selected for Verification,” the Office of Financial Aid is required to request documents to verify the information on the FAFSA. You may be required to verify income, submit citizenship documents, Selective Service proof, etc. The office will request all documents via your Bergen Portal and email only. It is important to submit the documents in a timely manner to ensure timely processing and awarding of accurate financial aid eligibility. Your financial aid award is only an estimate until we receive your documents and verify those documents against what you submitted on your FAFSA.
- Financial Aid Award Notification Letter
Once the FAFSA is received by the Office of Financial Aid, an Award Notification Letter will be emailed to your Bergen email address and Portal account with an Estimated Award (potential federal and/or New Jersey state awards). If there is an out of pocket expense or if you are not awarded a grant due to ineligibility, you can accept your William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan through your Portal account or apply for one of the many Private Student Loans at www.elmselect.com.
The Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) provides a supplemental statefunded grant for eligible students. For more information, please visit www.bergen.edu/eof