Transfer to Bergen

Please follow the steps below to register:

Step 1: Apply for Admissions to BCC

You must choose a program of study (degree or certificate). Academic programs can be found  in the academic catalog (accessible at ).

Transcripts of non-degree seeking students WILL NOT be evaluated. If you are unsure of which degree to apply for, the Professional Studies general program, AS.PS.GEN, is suggested. If you subsequently decide to change your curriculum, a change of curriculum form can be obtained from the Center for Student Success, room A-118.

Anyone applying to Nursing or a Health Professions program will have their transcript reviewed by a selection committee, and thus, credits will not be posted on your account until you are accepted.

Step 2: Activate Your Account

Activate your Student Portal Account.
Your acceptance letter will provide your Bergen User Name, ID number and Bergen Email.
All admissions, testing, financial aid, billing, and registration information will be sent to your portal address.

BCC Help Desk Phone#: (201) 447-7109.

Step 3: Complete the FAFSA

Complete the FAFSA (
Free Application for Federal Student Aid ( ~ School Code: 004736 )

Office of Financial Aid Phone#: (201) 447-7148.

If you were receiving financial aid at your previous institution, log into your FAFSA account and identify Bergen Community College as your new college. It generally takes 2-3 weeks before BCC receives your FAFSA information. After this time period, meet with a financial aid counselor at BCC to determine if you need to provide further information to the department.

Step 4: Submit Official Transcripts

Please see “Transfer Policy below.

If you would like to receive credit for studies at previous institutions, submit an Official Transcript from each institution. Unofficial transcripts will not be evaluated. Transcripts also may be delivered in person as long as they are in a sealed envelope stamped by the registrar’s office of the sending institution. Transcripts from other institutions will not be released to the student or to a third party.

If you studied in a foreign country, please refer to the International Evaluations” information below.

If the transcript reflects a former or maiden name, please notify the Office of Admissions at [email protected]

Have a copy of you official transcripts be directly sent from your previous institutions to:

Bergen Community College
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
c/o Transcript Evaluation
400 Paramus Road, Room A-115
Paramus, NJ 07652

Step 5: Take the Placement Examination – Office of Testing Services

Placement testing is required for all degree or certificate seeking students prior to registration.
When you receive your admissions information packet/BCC Student ID#, go to the The Office of Testing Services , Room S-127, to take the placement exams in Math and English.

If, at your previous institution, you already passed a placement exam or completed a college-level English and/or Math course, go to the Office of Testing Website and follow the directions for waiving the placement test requirements.

Step 6: Meet with an Academic Advisor

  • Discuss your placement test results and requirements for your major.
  • Select your courses/Build your schedule.
  • Transfer students should bring a copy of their Program Evaluation in order to facilitate the process of advisement and registration. This evaluation report can be found under WebAdvisor for Students/Academic Planning section of the BCC Portal system.
  • If you need assistance with choosing courses for your program, please visit the Center for Student Success, Room A-118, Phone: (201) 612-5480.

Step 7: Register for Classes

  • Online – through your BCC Portal/WebAdvisor account
  • In Person – Registration Center/One Stop, Room A-128 ( )
  • You can register for any 100-level course using the BCC Portal, just do nort register for a course you took at your previous institution in which you earned a “C” grade or better.
  • If you would like to register for a 200-level course, you have to fill out a registration Form (found in One Stop, Room A-128) and meet with the Department Chair for the course you want to take. You may need to show a copy of your academic transcript with the pre-requisite course listed (a “C” grade or better), and possibly a course syllabus.

Step 8: Make a Payment

  • Online through the BCC Portal/WebAdvisor account, in person, or by telephone
  • Cash, Checks, Money Orders, Credit Cards, 3rd Party Sponsorship and Financial Aid are accepted
  • Payment Plan options available

Bursar (Bill Payment Center), Room L-127, Phone: (201) 447-7105.

Steps for Transfer Students to follow:

Reference materials/Handout:

Transfer Policy

Bergen Community College will accept credits for courses taken at regionally accredited colleges and universities (and from properly accredited programs) provided that the course is compatible with the curriculum of Bergen Community College, as approved by the faculty, and the course is applicable to the requested program of study.

Bergen Community College also accepts transfer credits based on statewide agreements and will consider awarding credits based on established articulation agreements.

Only courses that have received a grade of “C” (or the equivalent) or better are accepted for transfer. Transfer credits are not included in computing the grade point average and are recorded as “TR” grades.

It is the student’s responsibility to provide, in a timely manner, all the transcripts and documents needed to evaluate any previous educational experience. Transcripts should arrive after the student has applied to the college and received a student ID number.

No more than 45 transferred credits will be applied toward earning an associate degree, and no more than 18 transferred credits will be applied toward earning an academic certificate.  These credits may be earned from a prior Bergen Community College degree/certificate, transfer credits from other institutions, and proficiency and/or CLEP examinations.  The list of approved subject examinations for CLEP credits may be viewed in the College Catalog, The balance of credits required for any degree or certificate must be earned through actual course enrollment at Bergen Community College.

Transfer Process

When Bergen Community College receives your transcript(s), a receipt communication will be sent to your Portal account, under My Documents.

Your transcript(s) will be scanned into the college system, evaluated, and the results posted to your WebAdvisor Program Evaluation within 2-4 weeks. A transfer equivalency report will not be mailed to you.

Transferred courses will show in your Program Evaluation with a grade of TR (transfer) and a code TE (for transfer equivalency). Grades do not transfer. 199 and 299 codes reflect elective credit.

For questions or appeals, students can contact the Transcript Evaluator, (201) 493-3774, [email protected], room A-126A.



Students can transfer a maximum of 45 credits into an Associate Degree program, or 18 credits into a Certificate program. Two General Education courses can be transferred in for students in Certificate of Achievement programs, but if course work has recently been completed, student can speak with the department chair for further credit or course substitutions.

  • Only courses with a “C” grade or higher may be accepted (numerical equivalency or letter equivalency). Passing, “P,” grades must = “C or better.”
  • Courses must be from properly accredited colleges/universities, AND be a part of a properly accredited program. For example, legal courses offered at an accredited college/university, but are not part of an American Bar Association accredited program, cannot transfer.
  • Grades do not transfer from other institutions. Transferred courses will be listed with a “TR” code under the grade heading.
  • Health Program courses cannot transfer into BCC.
  • Post-baccalaureate courses cannot transfer into BCC.
  • Computer courses completed more than 10 years prior to application date cannot transfer.
  • If student returns to BCC for a second degree, and took courses at another college, credits do not transfer in unless needed for new major. Up to 45 credits can transfer over from original BCC degree, so this must be determined before adding new credits.
  • Some colleges grant four credits for a course. If BCC only gives three credits, the student is to receive only three credits. Some colleges grant less credit for a course than does BCC, therefore, the student cannot be given credit for the course.
  • A course code, 199 and 299, may be assigned for college courses that BCC does not offer, or for three credit science or math courses, where the BCC course is worth four credits. The 199 and 299 course is an elective within that area of study, and can count as a General Education requirement.
  • If there is no clear BCC equivalent, student would need to provide a course outline or syllabus to the Office of Admissions, and possibly, to the head of the department of the course in question. Department Chairs are to submit in writing, to the Transcript Evaluator, his/her decision regarding course credit.
  • If student earned six credits for one course, a course description or outline should be supplied to the Department Chair asking if the student can receive credit for two courses.
  • Only six credits of legal courses can count from a college out of state or out of county. The courses need to be from an ABA accredited program.  The Department Chair of the Paralegal Program would need to make the determination of which, if any, credits are acceptable.
  • At many universities and colleges, a Literature course serves as the second writing course, equivalent to BCC’s WRT-201.  The course needs to have required a research paper in order to earn credit.

Course Exceptions

Student can get an exception to a course required in their program if student completed a related course at another school for which no transfer equivalency exists. The student would fill out an “Adjustment of Degree Requirements” form and ask Department Chair to sign it, then bring the form to the Office of Registration.  A Registrar would have to enter the course into the student’s account.  For example, a Holocaust course which BCC does not offer could fulfill the Diversity or History requirement.


High School Students

High school students who completed college course work should have an official transcript from the college that sponsored the course work delivered to the Office of Admissions in a sealed envelope from the college.

High school students who have completed one or more Advanced Placement (AP) examinations may receive college credit with a score of three or above. Please refer to the College Catalog for details. Scores must be sent to the Office of Registration directly from the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB) before credit is awarded. High school students who completed International Baccalaureate (IB) courses cannot receive credit for this program.


College Students

Current or former college/university students wishing to receive college credit at Bergen Community College (BCC) must deliver an official transcript from each college attended to the Office of Admissions in a sealed envelope from the college. An English 101 course completed at School 1 and listed on the transcript for School 2 does not qualify.

Bergen only accepts courses from Regionally Accredited Colleges and Universities. Look on the college’s website or back of transcript for one of the following accreditations (Note: These can change yearly):

  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Middle States Commission on Higher Education
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
  • The Higher Learning Commission
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities
  • [Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities may be eligible]


Students from Specialty Schools or Institutes

Bergen Community College (BCC) established articulation agreements with local schools that do not meet the accreditation standards set for colleges and universities. Please see the list of schools below.

Students must send official transcript/course grade sheet to the American Council on Education (ACE),, and request an evaluation report to be sent BCC. ACE does not provide grades. If needed at BCC, students would have to send grades in separately.

Anthem Institute (formerly Chubb Institute)

  • Student must send transcript to ACE for an evaluation report. No agreement is in place for courses to transfer, so student would have to bring the report and course descriptions or syllabi to BCC department chairs for evaluation.

Berkeley College

  • An accredited college. Berkeley has several campuses so student needs to submit transcripts from each location at which courses were taken.
  • Berkeley offers quarterly courses, therefore, 4 credits at Berkeley College equals 3 credits at BCC.

Computer Learning Center (defunct)

  • Course work is not accepted for transfer.

Devry University

  • An accredited college.
  • Student should have an official transcript delivered to the Office of Admissions in a sealed envelope from DeVry University.

Dover Business School

  • Course work is not accepted for transfer, unless completed after July 1, 2013 when Berkeley College purchased the Dover Business School.

Eastwick College/ Ho-Ho-Kus School

  • Students must send transcript to ACE for an evaluation report.
  • Only Anatomy and Physiology (A & P) courses can transfer to BCC.
  • Students in Eastwick College’s LPN program must have completed 3 courses in A & P to qualify for BIO-109 and BIO-209 at BCC.

Katherine Gibbs School

  • Course work is not accepted for transfer.

Lincoln Tech/ Cittone Institute

  • Course work is not accepted for transfer.


International Students

Students who attended institutions of higher learning in other countries must have their transcript translated into English and evaluated course by course by an agency associated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services ( Evaluations from the NACES member must be delivered to the Office of Admissions in a sealed envelope from the NACES member.

  • Evaluation must state that credits are from an accredited college/university in order for student to receive credit.
  • Courses that pertain to the country are not accepted as transfer, e.g., law, accounting courses. English courses also are not accepted unless the student studied the English Language/Literature as her/his program of study.
  • Transfer of credit is based solely on the NACES member’s evaluation. If evaluation does not provide grades, then the course cannot transfer. If the number of credits listed for a course is too minimal, then the course cannot transfer.
  • Course outlines for science, math, and technical courses may be required to earn equivalent credit at Bergen Community College.


Military Personnel

Since Bergen Community College is a SOC institution, credit is awarded for basic or recruit training by submitting your official separation paper (Form DD214).
An honorable discharge entitles you to 2 credits for health education, WEX 101, and 1 credit for physical activity, WEX 112.
Military personnel can also submit a Joint Services Transcript which may lead to the awarding of WEX 101, WEX 112, 6 credits of free electives, plus other credit based on the determination of academic department chairs.

New Jersey Police Officers and Corrections Officers

Bergen Community College (BCC) grants graduates of the Basic Law Enforcement Academies within New Jersey with college credit. Students need to present their graduate certificate or an ACE (American Council on Education) evaluation to the Office of Admissions in order to receive credit.
Notes: Students send their course work to ACE ( and ask for an evaluation to be sent to BCC.

State of New Jersey Police Officers

  • Student is given credit for: CRJ 101, CRJ 103, CRJ 109; WEX 101, WEX 112, WEX 159.
  • Cannot receive credit for courses completed if still in training.
  • Credit is not provided for the “Class 1B Special Law Enforcement Officer” certificate, or the equivalent in other counties.

State of New Jersey Correction Officers

  • Student is given credit for CRJ 101, CRJ 102, CRJ 108, WEX 101, WEX 112, and WEX 159.
  • Cannot receive credit for courses completed if still in training

Emergency Medical Technicians and Firefighters

Bergen Community College (BCC) established an agreement with the Bergen County Law & Public Safety Institute to grant graduates of the Institute with college credit. Students need to present their graduate certificate or an ACE (American Council on Education) evaluation to the Office of Admissions in order to receive credit.
Notes: Students send their course work to ACE ( and ask for an evaluation to be sent to BCC.

Bergen County Emergency Medical Technicians

  • Student is given credit for: WEX 159.

Bergen County Firefighters

  • There is no agreement in place to grant firefighters credit at Bergen Community College.


Testing and Life Experience Credit

Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)
Students who have taken one or more advanced placement exams in high school may receive course credit with a score of three or above.
Please refer to the College Catalog for details.
Scores must be submitted to the Office of Registration directly from the College Entrance Examination Board before credit is awarded.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Starting January 1, 2017, languages exams will change from twelve (12) to nine (9) credits maximum.
CLEP offers students an opportunity to receive college credit for what a student already knows, by earning qualifying scores on any of the 30+ CLEP Exams.
Please contact the Office of Testing at Bergen Community College for further information.
Scores must be received by the Office of Admissions directly from the College Entrance Examination Board before credit is awarded.

NYU Foreign Language Proficiency Testing
Through New York University’s School of Continuing and Professional Studies, students may take a foreign language proficiency exam to earn credit at Bergen Community College.
Students must take the 16-point exam (not the 12-point exam) and score 13 out of 16 points. Students will receive credit for the first language course (3 credits).
Students who wish to test in Spanish, German or French should consider taking the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exam, from which a student can earn 12 credits in Language.

Life Experience Credits

Credit for Prior Learning

Bergen Community College (BCC) recognizes the vast knowledge and skills of its diverse student population through prior learning assessment.

The Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Program gives students an opportunity to apply for course credit for experiential learning, non-credit course completion, and various forms of professional development, licensure/certification and credit-by-exam.

Course credit is awarded when content mastered through demonstrated knowledge and/or learning experiences is comparable to the student learning outcomes of a BCC course.  Participants benefit from reduced time toward degree completion thereby saving money.

Prior Learning Assessment Options

There are multiple approaches to the assessment of prior learning.  PLA options for college credit include individualized evaluations of a student’s learning via portfolio review.

Portfolio review allows students to request college credit for knowledge and skills acquired through employment, non-traditional education and/or training.

Experiences must be verifiable and demonstrate achievement of learning outcomes for a BCC academic course.  BCC will not award credit based solely on years of employment.

In addition to documentation, students may be asked to display specific skills via demonstration or hands-on testing, take an oral or written problem solving exam and/or complete an interview to assess content knowledge.

Students interested in credit via portfolio review are required to take CD 134 Prior Learning Assessment Portfolio Workshop Series, a noncredit course offered by the Division of Continuing Education. This course is designed to provide an introduction to Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) portfolio development.

For more information on credit via portfolio review, please see Jill Rivera, Associate Dean of Student Success in room L-123, on the main campus in Paramus, NJ