Labyrinth, Bergen Community College’s student literary magazine, is seeking poetry, short fiction, one-act plays, creative essays, and artwork for its Spring 2023 issue. In addition to publication, accepted works will automatically be considered for the Annual Creative Writing and Visual Arts Contest, sponsored by Labyrinth in association with the Bergen Community College creative writing program, Bergenstages, and the BCC Art Department.
- Contest and publication in The Labyrinth limited to students of BCC enrolled in academic years 2021, 2022 and 2023 including part-time and Learning-in-Retirement students.
- All work submitted must be original and previously unpublished. By submitting to Labyrinth, the contributor verifies that the work is definitively his or her own work and has never been publically presented in any format, including print, personal blog, internet sharing site, or social media website.
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Please format text documents to be readable by Microsoft Word. Artwork and photography should be submitted electronically in JPEG or PDF format, minimum 300 DPI.
- Word length: fiction and essay, 5000 words maximum; poetry, 35 lines maximum; play, approximately 10 minutes performance time.
- Artwork in any 2-dimensional medium will be considered.
- Each work should be submitted separately; do not group works into one email. Maximum number of submissions per individual: 2 in each prose category, 5 poems. Multiple submissions in fiction, poetry, drama, and essay are permitted. Artwork submissions, maximum 5 in each category.
- All text submissions must be typed. Prose must be double-spaced. Plays must be in standard dramatic manuscript form.
- All work must include the contributor’s name, student ID number, full address, telephone number, and email on each page.
- Contributors are advised to thoroughly edit and proofread work before submission. Artists and photographers, please title each submission.
$100 Best Fiction
$100 Best Poetry
$100 Best One-Act Play
$100 Best Creative Essay
$100 Best Visual Art
$100 Best Photography
Charlie Orlando Leppert
Faculty: Mary Crosby, Advisor