Marketing paragraph that introduces the concepts that will be reviewed on this page. Exciting yet plain language description. “If you have experience in the Military, Police, EMT, or other, check here!”
Earn Credit for Military Service
Since Bergen Community College is a SOC institution, credit is awarded for basic or recruit training by submitting your official separation paper (Form DD214). An honorable discharge entitles you to 2 credits for health education, WEX 101, and 1 credit for physical activity, WEX 112. Military personnel can also submit a Joint Services Transcript which may lead to the awarding of WEX 101, WEX 112, 6 credits of free electives, plus other credit based on the determination of academic department chairs.
Earn Credit for Civil & Public Service
Bergen County Police Officers, Corrections Officers and Emergency Medical Technicians
Bergen Community College (BCC) established an agreement with the Bergen County Law & Public Safety Institute to grant graduates of the Institute with college credit. Students need to present their graduate certificate or an ACE evaluation to the Office of Admissions in order to receive credit [ACE= American Council on Education. Students send their course work to ACE (www.acenet.edu) and ask for an evaluation to be sent to BCC.].
Bergen County Police Officers
- Student is given credit for: CRJ 101, 103, 109; WEX 101, 202, 159. Cannot receive credit for courses completed if still in training.
- Credit is not provided for the “Class 1B Special Law Enforcement Officer” certificate.
Bergen County Correction Officers
- Student is given credit for: CRJ 101, 102, 108; WEX 101, 202, 159. Cannot receive credit for courses completed if still in training.
Bergen County Emergency Medical Technicians
- Student is given credit for: WEX 159.
Bergen County Firefighters
- There is no agreement in place to grant firefighters credit at Bergen Community College, except for those students in the Certificate of Achievement for Fire Science.
Earn for Industry Experience
IBEW Electrical Workers
Students possessing IBEW Certification (3 year Communications or 5-year Inside Wireman Apprenticeship) will receive college credit at Bergen Community College (BCC). Students need to submit paperwork to the American Council on Education (www.acenet.edu) and ask for an evaluation to be sent to the Office at Admissions at BCC. Students are given credit only if enrolled in the Electronics Technology program, and will receive credit for: ELC 100, 101, 201, 203, 204, 214, 215, 452; TEC 180.