Alternative Route Teaching Program
The New Pathways Alternate Route Program is a process for people with a bachelor’s degree (in something other than education) to become a certified teacher in New Jersey.

Program Eligibility:

  • Bachelor’s or higher degree.
  • 3.0 GPA in bachelor’s or highest degree. If you graduated prior to September 1, 2016, you may be eligible with a GPA of 2.75 or higher.

Steps to Certification: Steps 1, 2 and 3 may be completed in any order.

  1. Take our 50-hour Introduction to Teaching Course which includes classroom observations, field experience and is approved by the Department of Education.
  2. Pass the Praxis Subject Assessment Exam in your subject area.
  3. Pass the Praxis Core Academic Skill Testing or submit the results of your SAT, ACT, or GRE scores. We offer Praxis Prep courses in Math, Reading and Writing. Optional Online Praxis Core Prep Course.
  4. Passing scores with the Praxis Basic Skills Examination: Reading: 156, Math: 150, Writing: 162. The following scores will exempt you from the Praxis Basic Skills Examination.SAT
    • If taken before 4/1/1995: Math 520, Reading 480
    • If taken between 4/1/1995 to 2/28/2016: Math 540, Reading 560
    • If taken on or after 3/1/2016: Math 570, 610 Evidence-Based Reading and Writing or 30 Reading SectionACT
    • If taken before 8/28/1989: Math 23, English 20
    • If taken on or after 8/28/1989: Math 23, English 23GRE
    • If taken before 8/1/2011: Quantitative 720, Verbal 530
    • If taken on or after 8/1/2011: Quantitative 156, Verbal 155

    At Bergen, we offer prep classes to help prepare for you for the Praxis Basic Skills Math, Reading and Writing.

  5. Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility from the New Jersey Department of Education. Click here for information on how to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility.
  6. Successfully teach as a provisional teacher for two years while completing 24 credits of alternate route classes.

Frequent Questions:

What is required to teach a particular subject?
Elementary Education requires 60 credits in liberal arts
Middle School requires 60 credits in liberal arts plus 15 credits in the particular subject
High School requires 30 credits in the particular subject

What is required to be hired as a provisional teacher?
CE in the subject area that the teacher is being hired to teach
Completion of the 50 Hour Pre Service Program (Introduction to Teaching)

What is required to obtain one’s permanent teacher’s license?
Two years of full time teaching with satisfactory school observations
Completion of the entire alternate route program

Helpful links:

Childhood Development Associate

Child development associates supervise and provide basic care for babies and young children. Some duties of child development associates include helping young children learn social skills, showing children how to maintain good hygiene, introducing children to basic academic concepts, and communicating with parents. These professionals may find work at childcare centers, schools, and private homes. Getting started in this career requires a high school diploma and a Childhood Development Associate must complete the CDA credential. The CDA credential is a way for child care professionals to substantially increase your knowledge of the early care and education best practices. In 2019, the median annual wages for childcare workers was $23,240, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

To find out more about CDA certification, call the CDA office at 800- 424-4310 or visit

For additional information regarding any of the education certificates, please contact 201 447-7488 or email

Click here for a full course list with registration details

Additional Self-Paced Courses: