Alternative Route to Teaching Program
The Alternate Route to Teaching Program is a certificate program for people with a bachelor’s degree to attain K-12 teacher licensing in New Jersey.
Bachelor’s or higher degree with a 3.0 GPA (2.75 GPA If graduated before September 1, 2016)
Steps to Certification
- Complete the 50-hour Introduction to Teaching Course at Bergen Community College
- Pass the Praxis Core Test or have SAT, ACT, or GRE score*
- Pass the Praxis Subject Test in the subject area
- Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (CE) to the NJ Department of Education (DOE)
- Apply for the 350-hour Alternate Route to Teaching Program at Brookdale Community College
- Participate in the Provisional Teacher Process
- Complete the 350-hour Alternate Route to Teaching Program at Brookdale Community College
- Apply for a Standard Teaching Certification to the NJ DOE
* Refer to the FAQs for the specific test scores.
Information and Useful Links
- The 50-hour Introduction to Teaching is the first segment of the Alternate Route to Teaching Program approved by the NJ Department of Education (DOE). Students take the Introduction to Teaching course at Bergen Community College and proceed with the next 350-hour training at Brookdale Community College.
- Brookdale Community College Website
For inquiries about the 350-hr training at Brookdale Community College, contact Melissa De Sousa Fernandes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 732-224-1952.
- Brookdale Community College Alternate Route to Teaching Program Overview
- ETS Website for the Praxis tests
- NJ DOE’s Certification information
- NJ DOE’s testing and GPA flexibility information
- NJ DOE’s NJEdCert website
- NJ DOE’s Limited CE website
- NJ DOE’s Frequently asked questions
Please contact NJDOE for the certification requirements and eligibility.
NJ DOE Contact Information
Hours: MON – FRI 8 AM – 7 PM
Phone: (609) 292-2070
Bergen County Office
Phone: (201) 336-6875
Please read the Alternate Route to Teaching Program FAQs for additional information.
- SD-005 | Introduction to Teaching
- SD-078 | Child Development Associate (CDA)
- SD-079 | Praxis Academic Skills Writing
- SD-080 | Praxis Academic Skills Math
- SD-083 | Praxis Academic Skills Reading
Additional Self-Paced Courses: