How to prepare for one the most exciting and life changing experiences of your life!
You should start planning at least a year in advance. Why?
Because you need to think about the following:
- The requirements necessary to apply for a study abroad program. You should have completed one semester at BCC and have a 2.5 GPA. Some programs have a higher requirement.
- The country you want to go to. Most of the programs do not require language proficiency; that is, the courses are taught in English.
- The amount of time you want to spend overseas. Semester programs are 3-4 months long (12-18 credits); summer programs are 4-6 weeks long (6-7 credits); J-term (3 credits)
- The cost of the program and how you will finance it. If you are planning to apply for financial aid or apply for a student loan, it takes time to process the paperwork. You need to have realistic expectations. The sooner you know you want to go, the earlier you can start saving your money!
- The courses you want to take and how they’ll fit into your Bergen Community College curriculum. If you wait until you are ready to graduate, your course options will be more limited. If you plan carefully, you will be able to take many of your Humanities and Social Sciences general education electives overseas. Keep in mind that there are more offerings during the regular semester than there are in the summer.
- The program application deadlines. In the event that you can apply for scholarships, you need to have been accepted to a study abroad program.
- The documentation necessary to travel (passport, visas and/or vaccinations
- Special dietary, health and/or physical considerations.
Once you are ready, you will meet with the Study Abroad Advisor, Prof. Amparo Codding (201-689-7601) to discuss your interests, your options, the program, and the application process.
- The program evaluation will help determine the best program of study based on what courses you have taken and how many courses you still need to graduate.
- Request a breakdown of the cost of the program; you may use it if you apply for financial aid.
- Complete an in-house preliminary application packet
- After your preliminary application has been completed and reviewed, you may begin the official application process. This application may require letters of recommendation, a personal essay, and an official BCC transcript. If your application is accepted, your study abroad advisor and you will be notified.
- You will meet again with Professor Codding to complete a course selection form. Every effort will be made to ensure that the courses selected will meet your graduation requirements and that you receive credit for these courses upon successful completion of the study abroad program.
- All program costs must be paid in full when the bill is presented to you, prior to your departure. You must be prepared to pay the bill immediately. A non-refundable $125.00 per semester study abroad fee is added to BCC study abroad program costs to cover the necessary special handling and processing.