What You Need to Know for Prospective NJ STARS Students
Qualified students are eligible for the NJ STARS program up to five semesters from high school graduation, as long as they are college-ready by September 1st, the year following high school graduation, even if they were enrolled at another college or university.
- Please see the check your eligibility requirements at the HESAA website for the Fact Sheet for the year you graduated high school.
- Eligible students should complete the Self-Identification Form for Prospective NJ STARS Students as soon as possible.
- Please refer students to the How to Apply to the NJ STARS Program webpage to get started.
- For a list of detailed steps to be certified as N STARS students, students should access the Application Process Checklist for Prospective NJ STARS Students.
- For an extensive list of helpful forms, documents, and links, please visit the NJ STARS Resources webpage.
Students must be full-time and college ready to be certified as NJ STARS students:
- Students must either be waived from taking the Accuplacer placement tests or pass all tests to be considered college-ready.
- Students can challenge and take the Accuplacer tests a second time, if necessary.
- Students who do not pass any test the second time and are required to take a remedial course or courses are not eligible to be certified as NJ STARS students until they are college-ready.
- Students can still qualify if they enroll in and pass required remedial courses during the summer after high school to start their first semester as NJ STARS students, however, NJ STARS scholarships do not pay for remedial courses.
- Students have until September 1st, one year from high school graduation to complete any remedial courses to remain eligible for the NJ STARS program.
Financial Aid Requirements
The 2021-2022 FAFSA became available on October 1, 2020. Some states and schools have limited funds, so don’t delay! Students can begin their FAFSA application by clicking 2021-2022 FAFSA.
Click the links below for federal and state financial aid deadlines and the schedule of FAFSA Workshops at Bergen Community:
Please feel free to share Financial Aid TV with your students and their parents. Choose to browse through video playlists by category, go through the financial aid process in order, or search for answers to questions. These short videos have a typewritten script that runs alongside them.
Proof of Eligibility Necessary to Certify NJ STARS Students
Prospective NJ STARS students are required to provide their final, official high school transcript containing the student’s class rank and class size as well as the graduation date as proof of eligibility for certification in the NJ STARS program.
The transcript must be signed by the Director of Guidance, the Principal or the Vice Principal and the high school seal must be affixed.
Transcripts should be mailed from the high school or hand-delivered by the student or parent in a sealed envelope to:
NJ STARS Representative
Bergen Community College
Public Safety Lobby – Cubicle 8
400 Paramus Road
Paramus, NJ 07652
If any of the following applies, it will also be necessary for the high school to complete the Certification of High School Class Rank Form for Prospective NJ STARS Students.
- If the high school transcript does not contain the student’s class rank and class size, complete the form using either the class rank and class size that was provided to HESAA at the end of the student’s junior year, or the class rank and class size at the end of the student’s senior year, if the student still qualifies.
- If the final transcript contains the student’s class rank and class size but the student did not qualify at the end of the senior year, please complete the form using the class rank and class size that was provided to HESAA at the end of the student’s junior year.
- If the student did not appear on the HESAA list for various reasons, or the student did not qualify at the end of the junior year but did qualify at the end of the senior year, please complete the form using the class rank and class size at the end of the junior or senior year, as appropriate.
Please print the completed form which must also be signed by the Director of Guidance, the Principal or the Vice Principal, and the high school seal must be affixed.