What You Need to Know for Prospective NJ STARS Students
Qualified students are eligible for the NJ STARS program up to five semesters from high school graduation, as long as they are college-ready by September 1st, the year following high school graduation, even if they were enrolled at another college or university.
Fall 2021 is the last semester 2019 high school graduates will be eligible for the NJ STARS program.
- Please see the NJ STARS Fact Sheet for 2021 High School Graduates for eligibility requirements.
- Eligible students should complete and email the Self-Identification Form for Prospective NJ STARS Students to Catherine Krostek, the NJ STARS Representative as soon as possible.
- Please refer students to the How to Apply to the NJ STARS Program webpage to get started.
- For a list of detailed steps to be certified as NJ STARS students, students should access the NJ STARS Application Process Checklist.
- For an extensive list of helpful forms, documents, and links, please visit the NJ STARS Resources webpage.
- Prospective NJ STARS students should not complete the NJ STARS Application/Contract until all steps including registering full-time have been completed.
- Prospective NJ STARS students must have their high schools provide proof of academic eligibility as described below.
On June 21, 2021, the full New Jersey Council of County Colleges unanimously approved a resolution that changes the test used for final NJ STARS eligibility, designating “a student’s high school academic ranking as the test of a student’s final eligibility for NJ STARS.”
Prospective NJ STARS students should be waived from taking the Next Generation Accuplacer placement tests before registering for classes.
Financial Aid Requirements
Prospective NJ STARS students must complete both federal financial aid review (FAFSA) and state financial aid review (HESAA- NJFAMS) to qualify for NJ STARS scholarships and continue to do so each year they are enrolled as NJ STARS students.
The 2021-2022 FAFSA became available on October 1, 2020. Some states and schools have limited funds, so don’t delay! Students can begin their FAFSA application by clicking 2021-2022 FAFSA.
Click the links below for federal and state financial aid deadlines and the schedule of FAFSA Workshops at Bergen Community:
- 2021-2022 Financial Aid Deadlines
- FAFSA Workshop Schedule to be announced shortly
Please feel free to share Financial Aid TV with your students and their parents. Choose to browse through video playlists by category, go through the financial aid process in order, or search for answers to questions. These short videos have a typewritten script that runs alongside them.
Proof of Academic Eligibility Required to Certify NJ STARS Students
Prospective NJ STARS students are required to provide their final, official high school transcript containing the student’s class rank and class size as well as the graduation date as proof of eligibility for certification in the NJ STARS program.
The transcript must be signed by the Director of Guidance, the Principal, or the Vice Principal and the high school seal must be affixed.
Transcripts should be mailed from the high school or hand-delivered by the student or parent in a sealed envelope to:
NJ STARS Representative
Bergen Community College
400 Paramus Road- Room C-111
Paramus, NJ 07652
If any of the following applies, it will also be necessary for the high school to complete the Certification of High School Class Rank Form for Prospective NJ STARS Students.
- If the high school transcript does not contain the student’s class rank and class size, complete the form using either the class rank and class size that was provided to HESAA at the end of the student’s junior year, or the class rank and class size at the end of the student’s senior year, if the student still qualifies.
- If the final transcript contains the student’s class rank and class size but the student did not qualify at the end of the senior year, please complete the form using the class rank and class size that was provided to HESAA at the end of the student’s junior year.
- If the student did not appear on the HESAA list for various reasons, or the student did not qualify at the end of the junior year but did qualify at the end of the senior year, please complete the form using the class rank and class size at the end of the junior or senior year, as appropriate.
Please print the completed form which must also be signed by the Director of Guidance, the Principal, or the Vice Principal, and the high school seal must be affixed.