NJ STARS Step-by-Step Instructions
NJ STARS Application Process Checklist: NJ STARS Application Process Checklist All links are clickable.
*All links in the PowerPoint presentations and the pdf versions are clickable, and videos are playable.
To view PowerPoint presentations: click “Enable Editing”, then click “Enable Content”. *For free alternatives to view Microsoft PowerPoint presentations, click here.
Bergen Community College Resources
Get Bergen Community College’s Student Portal Mobile App: Download “Ellucian GO” from Google Play for Android devices or from the App Store for Apple devices. You can access the academic calendar, your course schedule, financial aid information, grades and much more. You can even register your courses and logon to Moodle!
FAFSA & HESAA Deadlines
The deadline to complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA and the New Jersey Additional Application Questions is April 15th for students who were previously awarded NJ TAG (Tuition Aid Grant Program). Please use 2016 tax information when completing the 2018-2019 FAFSA and the New Jersey Additional Application Questions.
For detailed instructions for both Federal (FAFSA) and State-Based (HESAA) Financial Aid, please access the Step-by-Step Guides above.
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) Resources
7 Things You Need Before You Fill Out the 2018-2019 FAFSA (Department of Education)
HESSA (Higher Education Student Assistance Authority) Resources
HESAA Student Portal Website (NJFAMS) If you didn’t complete the New Jersey Additional Application Questions at the end of the FAFSA, please create a student login, click on the”To Do List” on the Home menu, and complete the questions.
*2016 high school graduates are eligible to apply for the NJ STARS program through Fall 2018.
NJCCC (New Jersey Council of Community Colleges)
NJ STARS Information Website (This website provides information for both NJ STARS and NJ STARS II.)
State of New Jersey Legislation
- P.L. 2007, c. 175 (Bill A3968; Lampitt Bill): approved September 13, 2007, effective immediately. This bill provides for the transfer of certain college credits.
NJ STARS Legislation N.J.S.A. 18A:71B-81
- P.L. 2004, c. 59 (Bill S1192): approved June 29, 2004; took effect July 1, 2004.
- P.L. 2005, c. 168 (Bill S2477): approved August 5, 2005, effective immediately. This bill changed the criteria for continued receipt of NJ STARS scholarship after first year of enrollment in a county college.
- P.L. 2005, c. 359 (Bill S2905): approved January 12, 2006, effective June 30, 2006. This bill establishes the NJ STARS II program for NJ STARS scholars who advance to a New Jersey four-year public institution of higher education.
- P.L. 2007, c. 214 (Bill A3253): approved December 20, 2007, effective immediately. This bill provided a military service exemption to the requirement of continuous enrollment under the NJ STARS and NJ STARS II programs.
- P.L. 2008, c. 124 (Bill A3373): approved December 19, 2008, effective immediately and first applicable to the 2009-2010 academic year. This bill revises the NJ STARS and NJ STARS II programs.
- P.L. 2009, c. 280 (Bill A2702): approved January 17, 2010, effective immediately and first applicable to the 2009-2010 academic year. This bill requires schools (high schools) to notify certain students of potential eligibility for the NJ STARS program.
- P.L. 2012, c. 8 (Bill S874): approved May 2, 2012, effective immediately and first applicable to the 2012-2013 academic year. This bill revises the NJ STARS and NJ STARS II programs.
- P.L. 2014, c. 55 (Bill A2364): approved September 10, 2014, effective immediately. This bill provides that eligibility for the NJ STARS program be based on class rank at completion of student’s junior year or senior year of high school.
- P.L. 2017, c.360 (Bill A2565): approved January 16, 2018, effective immediately and first applicable to the 2015-2016 academic year. This bill allows NJ STARS and NJ STARS II scholarship recipients to maintain program eligibility in the event that medical condition or recent death of parent or spouse prevents enrollment as full-time student.