All classes resume online Monday, March 23. Students must check their Bergen-issued email address and Moodle for directions from faculty. On-campus offices are closed; staff are all working remotely. Details at Bergen.edu/covid19.
NJ STARS Step-by-Step Instructions
- NJ STARS Application Process Checklist
- NJ STARS Application/Contract Fall 2020/Spring 2021
- State-Based Financial Aid Review Process (NJFAMS Student User Manual)
Bergen Community College Resources
- Bergen Community College Student Portal Website Get Bergen Community College’s Student Portal Mobile App: Download “Ellucian GO” from Google Play for Android devices or from the App Store for Apple devices. You can access the academic calendar, your course schedule, financial aid information, grades and much more. You can even register your courses and logon to Moodle!
- FERPA (The Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act)
- How to Forward Your Student Email to Your Personal Email Account
- NJ STARS Brochure
- NJ STARS Change of Status Form
- Running Start Program* (check back in June for dates, times and locations)
Free Boot Camps are available before both the Fall and Spring semesters for Intermediate Algebra (MAT-160), Pre-Calculus (MAT-180) and Introduction to Chemistry (CHM-100). Students may take a proficiency exam after completing the boot camp and possibly test out of the course!
Free Prep Classes are also available to give students a better foundation for courses they will be taking in upcoming semesters.
*Students who attend all sessions on time will be entered for a chance to win a free textbook.
FAFSA & HESAA Deadlines
The deadline to complete the 2020-2021 FAFSA and the New Jersey Additional Application Questions is April 15th for students who were previously awarded NJ TAG (Tuition Aid Grant Program). Please use 2018 tax information when completing the 2020-2021 FAFSA and the New Jersey Additional Application Questions.
For detailed instructions for both Federal (FAFSA) and State-Based (HESAA) Financial Aid, please access the Step-by-Step Guides above.
Click here for all 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 federal and state financial aid deadlines: FAFSA/HESAA Deadlines
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) Resources
- FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) Website
- 2020-2021 FAFSA Workshops at Bergen Community College
- 7 Things You Need Before You Fill Out the 2018-2019 FAFSA (Department of Education)
- 7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA Video Tutorial
Financial Aid TV: You can browse through video playlists by category, go through the financial aid process in order, or you can search for an answer to your question. These short videos also have a typewritten script that runs alongside it so you can read or listen.
HESSA (Higher Education Student Assistance Authority) Resources
- Student Portal Website (NJFAMS) If you didn’t complete the New Jersey Additional Application Questions at the end of the FAFSA, please create a student login, click on the”To Do List” on the Home menu, and complete the questions.
- NJFAMS Student User Manual
- Forms and Instructions
- NJ STARS Brochure
- NJ STARS Fact Sheet for 2019 High School Graduates
- NJ STARS Fact Sheet for 2018 High School Graduates
- NJ STARS Fact Sheet for 2017 High School Graduates*
*2017 high school graduates are eligible to apply for the NJ STARS program through Fall 2019.
State of New Jersey Legislation
- P.L. 2007, c. 175 (Bill A3968; Lampitt Bill): approved September 13, 2007, effective immediately. This bill provides for the transfer of certain college credits.
NJ STARS Legislation N.J.S.A. 18A:71B-81
- P.L.2004, c.59 (Bill S1192): approved June 29, 2004; took effect July 1, 2004.
- P.L.2005, c.168 (Bill S2477): approved August 5, 2005, effective immediately. This bill changed the criteria for continued receipt of NJ STARS scholarship after first year of enrollment in a county college.
- P.L.2005, c.359 (Bill S2905): approved January 12, 2006, effective June 30, 2006. This bill establishes the NJ STARS II program for NJ STARS scholars who advance to a New Jersey four-year public institution of higher education.
- P.L.2007, c.214 (Bill A3253): approved December 20, 2007, effective immediately. This bill provided a military service exemption to the requirement of continuous enrollment under the NJ STARS and NJ STARS II programs.
- P.L.2008, c.124 (Bill A3373): approved December 19, 2008, effective immediately and first applicable to the 2009-2010 academic year. This bill revises the NJ STARS and NJ STARS II programs.
- P.L.2009, c.280 (Bill A2702): approved January 17, 2010, effective immediately and first applicable to the 2009-2010 academic year. This bill requires schools (high schools) to notify certain students of potential eligibility for the NJ STARS program.
- P.L.2012, c.8 (Bill S874): approved May 2, 2012, effective immediately and first applicable to the 2012-2013 academic year. This bill revises the NJ STARS and NJ STARS II programs.
- P.L.2014, c.55 (Bill A2364): approved September 10, 2014, effective immediately. This bill provides that eligibility for the NJ STARS program be based on class rank at completion of student’s junior year or senior year of high school.
- P.L.2017, c.360 (Bill A2565): approved January 16, 2018, effective immediately and first applicable to the 2015-2016 academic year. This bill allows NJ STARS and NJ STARS II scholarship recipients to maintain program eligibility in the event that medical condition or recent death of parent or spouse prevents enrollment as full-time student.
- P.L.2019, c.232 (Bill A4115): approved August 9, 2019, effective immediately. This bill clarifies that certain students are eligible for NJ STARS and NJ STARS II scholarships upon initial enrollment at institution of higher education on a part-time basis.