In October, 2017, the FAFSA will be available for academic year 2018-2019. Students who received NJ TAG through HESAA must now file their FAFSA by April 15th each year.
If you are planning to graduate at the end of the Spring 2017 semester, please confirm your graduation in your student portal and contact the NJ STARS Transfer Counselor. If you will be participating in the commencement ceremony, attend Grad Salute regarding NJ STARS graduation regalia.
Eligibility Criteria for Maintaining your NJ STARS Scholarship
- Complete the FAFSA application each year by the deadline with BCC listed as the first choice college (college code 004736). Visit Office of Financial Aid for deadlines and other important information including deadlines to submit information, college code changes and additional documentation which may be required.
- Periodically check your BCC student portal to be sure the Office of Financial Aid is not missing any information.
- Submit additional information for state aid each year by the deadline to the Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA) and list BCC as your first choice college (all college code updates and changes must be reported directly to HESAA and FAFSA). Visit the Office of Financial Aid for deadlines and other important information.
- Periodically check your HESAA student portal at www.njgrants.org to be sure you are complete, to answer questions and submit information requested by HESAA through email or mail. Once you are complete on the HESAA website, please be sure to check if you were selected for State Verification.
- Maintain continuous full-time enrollment with a minimum of 12 college-level credits in fall and spring semesters (students have five consecutive semesters of eligibility).
- Obtain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA prior to the start of the third semester of NJ STARS eligibility. Grades received for remedial courses are not included in your cumulative GPA.
- Make payment arrangements for all fees and any other payments not covered by NJ STARS prior to the payment deadline for each semester. Visit the Bursar’s website for payment deadlines.
When to Meet with an NJ STARS Academic Counselor
- It is highly recommended that you meet with an NJ STARS Academic Counselor each semester, especially if you are having difficulty.
- Make an appointment with an NJ STARS Academic Counselor before making any changes to your schedule.
- It is never too early to transfer! Check in with the NJ STARS Transfer Counselor on your graduation in your Portal account after completing 48 college level credits, and visit the Transfer Services website for more information.