NJ STARS Students & Bergen Community College “In the News”
Bergen’s Alpha Epsilon Phi chapter of Phi Theta Kappa has earned both the international and regional Distinguished Chapter Team Award, continuing a decade of record-setting success for the group. The “most distinguished chapter” honor recognizes the top chapter in the entire world!
Founded in 1918, PTK is the oldest, largest, and most distinguished honor society of two-year colleges in nine nations and 1,300 colleges. Many of Bergen’s NJ STARS students are PTK members! Bergen Community College Honor Students Earn International Acclaim. April 26, 2020. (mybergen.com) Meet the 2019 Most Distinguished Chapter. May 8, 2019. (ptk.org)
Listen to what six NJ STARS students and graduates (Tristan Anderson, Jeremy Arango, Adam Grassani, Jazmine Guiterrez, Amanda Karpinski and Thomas Van Winkle) have to say about Bergen Community College and the NJ STARS program in an NJ STARS Infomercial. To view the video, please click below:
If you have Verizon FIOS, the NJ STARS Infomercial is currently airing on Bergen Community College’s Torch TV, Channel 26!
In addition, an NJ STARS commercial is also airing on FIOS, Channel 26! To view the commercial starring NJ STARS graduate, Laura Zottarelli, click below:
Facebook (@bccnjstars): “Like Us” at NJ STARS of Bergen Community College – Take advantage of links and documents containing useful information such as how to apply to the NJ STARS program or how to maintain NJ STARS status. Check the page tabs to access the Bergen Community College YouTube channel, Pinterest for NJ STARS, NJ STARS Twitter tweets, and more.
Twitter (njstarsofbcc): “Follow Us” at NJ STARS of BCC – Receive important tweets about deadlines, early registration reminders, event information, etc.
Pinterest (njstarsofbcc): “Follow Us” NJ STARS of Bergen Community College – Access 15 boards such as How to Succeed in College, College Note Taking & Studying Tips, Inspiring Quotes & Information, Leadership, Social Media, Apps & Tips for College Students and more!
Instagram (njstarsofbcc): “Follow Us” – Watch for photos of current and former NJ STARS students.
NJ STARS Student and Graduate Updates and Articles
- Mikiko Freund of Little Ferry received $40,000 per year Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship for exemplary academic performance. “61 Community College Students Awarded Prestigious Transfer Scholarship.“April 24, 2019. (www.jkcf.org).
- Jenna Santacroce, of Saddle Brook was one of 15 students selected from 3,400 applicants nationwide for the Guistwhite Scholars Award, which includes a $5,000 scholarship. Jennifer was also nominated to the New Jersey All-State Academic Team. $75,000 Awarded to 2020 Guistwhite Scholars. March 27, 2020. (ptk.org)
- Amanda Karpinski of Carlstadt, one of our recent NJ STARS graduates, is “In the News” again in an article entitled, “Five Students That Show Why Community Colleges Make the Grade.” Amanda is the second student highlighted in the article. August 22, 2018. Forbes (forbes.com)
- Amanda Karpinski was elected International President of Phi Theta Kappa (PTK), the oldest, largest and most prestigious honor society in higher education in nine nations in April, 2017. “People of PTK: 2017-2018 International Officers.” April 12, 2017. (ptk.org). Amanda was also spotlighted as #4 of the top 10 biggest stories of the 2017 “Year in Review” Countdown in Studio Bergen, Bergen Community College’s two-time NCMPR Medallion Award-winning news magazine. Major kudos to Amanda!!
- Binah Ezra of Mahwah was accepted into John Hopkins Center for Talented Youth Program as a teacher’s assistant this summer in California. Binah reports she is getting closer to her dream of becoming a teacher.
- Akira Rosillo of North Bergen was awarded a Presidential Scholarship at NJCU which covers full-time in-state tuition and fees over two years to incoming full-time transfer students who have earned an Associate’s degree with a minimum 3.70 GPA or better.
- Maycie Schmidt of Rochelle Park named a 2016 Coca-Cola Leader of Promise Scholar: “Bergen Students Receive Prestigious National Honor.” November 7, 2016. Paramus Patch (patch.com)
- Laura Zottarelli of Lodi, former Student Government Association President, writes about her college journey: “Finding My Path.” (201) family magazine. August 2016
- Frank Paparozzi of Lodi received NJCAA’s Pinnacle Academic Achievement Award for academic achievement. “Paramus’ Don Bozzone Inducted into National Hall of Fame.” August 10, 2016. Paramus Daily Voice (dailyvoice.com)
- Tristan Anderson of Teaneck named a 2016 Newman Civic Fellow for exemplary engaged scholarship: “Bergen Student Recognized for Civic Service.” July 6, 2016. The Paramus Post (paramuspost.com); Campus Compact Newman Fellows Webpage (compact.com)
- Michelle Ochoa of Ridgefield Park on Bergen Community College’s first place team in Rutgers Business School competition. “Students from Bergen and Essex are top winners in Rutgers Business Schools’s first New Jersey County College Case Competition.” April 6, 2016. (business.rutgers.edu)
- Rhonda Richardsen of Hewitt in the News! “Richardsen, of West Milford, excels at the college level, helps reduce stigma surrounding mental health.” December 31, 2015. National Association of County Behavioral Health & Developmental Disability Disorders. (nacbhdd.org)
- Rhonda Richardsen of Hewitt named 2015 New Jersey Coca-Cola New Century Scholar: “NJ’s Best Students Honored.” May 21, 2015. New Jersey Council of County Colleges (njccc.org)
- Christina Valerio of North Bergen received U.S. Department of State Critical Language Scholarship: “In Any Language, Bergen Students a Success.” May 13, 2015. Update: CCID Newsletter Spring 2016, Page 3. (www.harpercollege.edu)
- Natasha Pineiros of Hackensack received $40,000 per year Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship for exemplary academic performance. “Bergen Students go Back-to-Back with Scholarship Win.” May 6, 2015. The Paramus Post (paramuspost.com); The County Seat (cntyseat.com)
- Rhonda Richardsen of Hewitt ranked among 20 Best in U.S.: “20 community college students honored as nation’s best.” April 20, 2015. USA Today (usatoday.com)
- Nina Russo of Lodi received President’s Award for Best Speaker: “Loud and Clear: Student Wins Speech Competition.” April 24, 2015.