We are excited that you have decided to apply to Bergen Community College as a new or transfer student in the NJ STARS program!
Please Read to Avoid Unnecessary Delays
- If you have questions about qualifying for the NJ STARS program, please visit the NJ STARS homepage at www.bergen.edu/njstars first.
- NJ STARS Application/Contract: Signing the contract is one of the final steps in the NJ STARS application process. Students should not sign their contract until after they have completed all steps below including registering for their courses full-time. In addition, students should not sign the Scholarship Maintenance Agreement until they have received an email that their contract has been processed.
- NJ STARS Application/Contract Deadline: The deadline to complete the process and sign the NJ STARS Application/Contract for Fall 2021/Spring 2022 is Tuesday, August 31, 2021.
- Students who did not activate their NJ STARS eligibility by May 7th will still be eligible to apply to the NJ STARS program at Bergen Community College until September.
- Students who do not receive financial aid may sign their NJ STARS Application/Contract after the August 31 deadline, however, they will have to make a payment toward the tuition and will be reimbursed after the State of New Jersey pays their tuition with their NJ STARS scholarship, typically at the end of each semester.
- 2021/2022 FAFSA: Your financial aid review cannot begin until the FAFSA is checked off as complete in the financial aid section of Self Service in your student portal. Be sure that Bergen Community College is listed on the FAFSA and that your Social Security number is on your college application or the FAFSA cannot be imported into your student record. Please email email@example.com if you do not see your FAFSA in your student portal.
- Additional Help: Students and their parents should attend one of the How to Get Certified as NJ STARS Student Weekly Webinars for additional help. A schedule of the weekly webinars is posted on the NJ STARS Events webpage. Please RSVP to find out everything you need to know about the NJ STARS program, or to a topic-specific webinar such as how to navigate your student portal, the NJ STARS Application/Contract online process or learn some financial aid tips for NJ STARS students.
- Please contact the NJ STARS Representative if you are having difficulty with any step that may prevent you from meeting the deadline.
Let’s Get Started (click each link for detailed information)
Read the NJ STARS Fact Sheet for eligibility requirements.
To ensure that you meet all of the eligibility requirements, please read the NJ STARS Fact Sheet for 2021 High School Graduates or visit the HESAA website and check the NJ STARS Fact Sheet for the year you graduated high school.
Complete the Self-Identification Form for Prospective NJ STARS Students.
If you qualify and are interested in applying to the NJ STARS program at Bergen Community College, please download the Self-Identification Form for Prospective NJ STARS Students, right-click on the form, and “Save As” to your computer. Complete and save the form again and email it as soon as possible to Catherine Krostek, the NJ STARS Representative so you can be identified as a Prospective NJ STARS student in your college record.
Students who self-identify will be added to the NJ STARS email list to receive important announcements regarding upcoming deadlines, NJ STARS Information Sessions, registration dates, etc. In addition, when students self-identify, the NJ STARS Representative will add protection to their courses so they will not be dropped for non-payment. Protection is typically added to prospective and current students records in July for Fall semesters and December for Spring semesters and will show is students’ portals on the Self-Service homepage as “NJ STARS Student.”
Follow the NJ STARS Application Process Checklist and complete all steps.
The NJ STARS Application Process Checklist contains email addresses, web addresses, phone numbers, and helpful information you may need for additional help need to ensure all requirements are met, especially completion of the financial aid review process for both federal and state-based financial aid. If necessary, you can attend a FAFSA workshop. Please check the Financial Aid Dates & Deadlines webpage for available workshops.
Check your student Gmail account regularly for important information, and to be sure you are not missing any information.
You must check your student Gmail address to see if you were required to submit additional information that might later hold up the processing of your NJ STARS Application/Contract.
Read, sign and submit your NJ STARS Application/Contract.
After all required steps have been completed including registering your courses full-time, click on the NJ STARS Application/Contract for Fall 2021/Spring 2022, and log in with your username and password. Read the contract carefully before electronically signing and submitting it.
Your contract will be assigned to an Academic Counselor who will verify that you are registered full-time in your program and that you are college-ready (developmental/remedial courses must be completed), and they will sign the contract. If there are any issues, the assigned Counselor will email you at your student Gmail address, and once resolved, the counselor will sign the contract.
Once an Academic Counselor has signed your contract, it will be forwarded to the NJ STARS Representative who will verify your academic and financial aid requirements, check that all steps are complete, sign and date the contract, identify you as an NJ STARS student in your student record, and extend the protection on your courses so that they will not be dropped for non-payment. NJ STARS protection will end late in the semester until since that is when the State of New Jersey typically pays students’ tuition.
If a contract cannot be signed due to missing information, the NJ STARS Representative will email you at your student Gmail address. The contract will be signed once missing or incomplete information is submitted. You will receive an email when your contract has been processed. A link to a copy of your signed contract will be included in the email, and a copy of your contract will also be available in the Bergen Links section of your student portal by clicking on My E-forms history (Laserfiche).
After receiving the email that your NJ STARS Application/Contract has been processed, read, sign, and submit the Scholarship Maintenance Requirements for NJ STARS Students form.
Please do not sign the form before receiving the email that your NJ STARS Application/Contract has been processed. Then, click on the Scholarship Maintenance Requirements for NJ STARS Students form, read it carefully, and sign and submit it. Signing this document will verify that you understand the steps necessary to maintain your NJ STARS scholarship. A copy of the signed document will be available in the Bergen Links section of your student portal by clicking on My E-forms history (Laserfiche).
Submit your final, official signed and sealed high school transcript to the NJ STARS Representative after high school graduation.
Following high school graduation, you will need to have your final high school transcript containing your class rank and class size, signed by your high school’s Director of Guidance, Principal, or Vice Principal and sealed with the high school seal mailed directly to the NJ STARS Representative. If your high school does not rank on their transcripts, the Certification of High School Class Rank Form will need to be completed and included with your final transcript. For more information, please have your high school visit the Information for New Jersey High Schools webpage.
Important: Please remember that all required steps must be completed to be officially certified as an NJ STARS student, especially federal and state-based financial aid reviews.
Maintaining your NJ STARS Scholarship
Bergen Community College will do everything it can to assist you in maintaining your eligibility in the NJ STARS program, but the responsibility for understanding and following the requirements is yours.
Every academic year, it is of the utmost importance that all financial aid (FAFSA) and state-based (HESAA) paperwork, and any additional information requested is completed by stated deadlines. Compliance will ensure continuous enrollment in Bergen Community College’s NJ STARS Program. Failure to complete all documents and provide all requested information may result in an unfunded semester, or possible loss of NJ STARS eligibility.
For information regarding maintaining your NJ STARS scholarship, please see the NJ STARS Current Students webpage