Beginning at noon today, the College closed all locations until further notice. The return date to campus remains subject to the evolution of COVID-19 and revised guidance. It remains very important that you continue to monitor College communications.
Today’s update will include some new information and a recap of the critical items we’ve already announced in preparation of the campus closure.
- Your personal computer can access all College systems – it is not necessary to have a College-issued device. Systems such as Colleague, LaserFiche, Moodle, Google, My Documents and Shared Drives can all be accessed via a web browser.
- For faculty and staff working remotely, information technology has compiled a resource library available here. The group will continue to add new documents, videos and resources.
- This link is also accessible from Bergen.edu under the COVID-19 banner.
- For assistance, the help desk will operate Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. Call the help desk at (201) 447-7109 or email email@example.com.
- The College has used SignalVine as a text messaging platform for students and has now piloted using it for group-specific information for faculty and staff as well. To receive these texts, please update your mobile phone number here. Scroll to the bottom and confirm your number; if you need to edit, click the “pencil,” edit the number and click “Save.”
- Faculty will communicate with students regarding their planned individual delivery of courses – including labs, clinical rotations and other specialized considerations.
Key Announcements Recap
- All on-campus classes at all Bergen locations are cancelled for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester. Classes will take place remotely/online beginning Monday, March 23.
- All employees will now work remotely from home. Supervisors will determine action plans for departmental work and discuss with their staff members.
- All College personnel, including part-time, temporary and student staff, will continue to be compensated.
- No personal days or sick days will be assessed for employees during this time.
- All spring 2020 on-campus events are cancelled and the College has suspended scheduling any new events.
- While commencement 2020 remains scheduled as planned for Monday, May 18 at 5:30 p.m. at MetLife Stadium, the College has begun to develop contingency plans in the event of its postponement or cancellation. The College remains committed to celebrating the class of 2020 however feasible and has already discussed some creative solutions toward doing so.
- “Drive-through” COVID-19 testing will begin at Bergen Friday. Federal, state and county officials will coordinate all aspects of this event.
- During this unprecedented time in our world, many have experienced considerable anxiety and stress. Any faculty or staff member experiencing these types of symptoms does not need to suffer in silence – please contact the College’s Employee Assistance Program through Magellan at 1-800-523-5668 or click here.
Please take care of yourself during your time away from the institution.
Dr. Tony Ross
Based in Paramus, Bergen Community College (www.bergen.edu), a public two-year coeducational college, enrolls more than 13,000 students at locations in Paramus, the Philip Ciarco Jr. Learning Center in Hackensack and Bergen Community College at the Meadowlands in Lyndhurst. The College offers associate degree, certificate and continuing education programs in a variety of fields. More students graduate from Bergen than any other community college in the state.
# # #