All classes resume online Monday, March 23. Students must check their Bergen-issued email address and Moodle for directions from faculty. On-campus offices are closed; staff are all working remotely. Details at Bergen.edu/covid19.
Sigma Chi Eta
Bergen Community College’s chapter has been designated as the Alpha Mu chapter of Sigma Chi Eta. Alpha means “strength and foundation in a society.” Mu means “stability and protection.”
The framed Sigma Chi Eta charter is proudly displayed in the Communication Department, Pitkin Education Center, A336.
Bergen Community College has joined over 45 community college chapters across the nation dedicated to recognizing the work of outstanding communication students.
As determined by the National Communication Association, the six goals of Sigma Chi Eta are:
- Recognize, foster and reward outstanding scholastic achievement in communication studies
- Stimulate interest in the field of communication
- Promote and encourage professional development among communication majors
- Provide an opportunity to discuss and exchange ideas in the field of communication
- Establish and maintain closer relationships between faculty and students
- Explore options for graduate education in communication studies
Students who meet the following criteria qualify for induction and are invited to join the communication honor society:
- Complete 12 semester credit hours (18 quarter credit-hours) at their current institution or the equivalent number of hours at a transfer institution or the equivalent number of hours through life-long learning credit
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 for all courses taken
- Complete the equivalent of 3 courses or 9 semester credit hours (12 quarter credit-hours) in communication studies
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.25 for all communication studies courses taken
- Currently be enrolled as a student in good standing, as determined by the institution’s policies
For more information, please contact the Communications Department or:
Professor Thomas Jewell