Career Counseling is…Self-Assessment + Career Exploration + Preparation + Action
- How do I choose a major?
- How do I learn more about careers?
- Am I on the right track to getting admitted to a 4-year school?
- Can I gain experience while I’m still in school?
- Where can I get help with resume writing and interviewing?
- How do I go about doing a job search?
- Strong Interest Inventory
- Other exercises / tips
- Research career fields (Bergen’s Library has a great site for doing research- click “Electronic Resources” then “Internet Sites by Subject” and then “Career and Job Information“)
- Informational interviews (talk to people in the field)
- Find the right kind of work (part-time/summer jobs, volunteer work) – Look at the job listings in the Career Development Center
- Get involved with activities on campus and in the community related to fields of interest
- Do Co-op or Service Learning
- Study abroad – Bergen students can spend a summer, a semester, or an academic year studying in one of over 30 countries.
- Read literature on different careers
- Join a national association related to field of interest
- Write a resume
- Write a cover letter
- Perform a job search
- Develop a portfolio
- Write a thank you letter
- Workshops on campus
- Apply for positions
- Business etiquette
- Eating etiquette (when on an interview)
Career and Transfer Workshops
Each semester, workshops will be offered covering transfer, resume writing and interviewing skills.
These workshops will run 1 hour in length, with sessions being held both during the day and in the evening.
Sign up forms are located in One Stop/Student Center or you may register by calling (201)447-7171.
Full-Time and Part-Time Jobs
Bergen Community College’s Career Development Center has partnered with Handshake to provide students the opportunity to view open job listings and to apply quickly, efficiently, and free of charge. Handshake will be launched at some point during the Spring 2023 semester. Check your email for updates about Handshake’s status.
On-Campus Recruitment – Workforce Wednesdays
Local organizations know the value of a Bergen Community College student working for them, and thus, come to campus to recruit students for employment with their company.
Throughout the semester on Wednesdays, representatives from companies arrive on campus and sit outside the One-Stop center on the first floor of the Student Center in the Pitkin Education Building.
If you are looking for employment or to change jobs, stop by to talk to them. Please do not assume you know what positions they are advertising. For example, a local bank may not be looking for tellers, but for computer specialists to operate in their computer help center.
Each spring and fall semester, the Career Center hosts a Job Fair, where area organizations arrive on campus to discuss with students the job openings they have available. The next Job Fair will be hosted on Thursday, April 27th from 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. in the student center hallways.