Location: L-125, Pitkin Educational Center, Paramus
Available Tutorial Support:
The CLAC offers current BCC students free one-on-one tutoring in over 200 subjects offered at the college:
- Students may schedule a 50 minute appointment with one of our many Peer or Professional tutors in room L-125 or online (via WebEx)
- Students are permitted to receive up to two appointments for each registered subject per week, dependent upon tutor availability
The CLAC offers weekly study groups for a variety of subjects:
- Faculty may choose to initiate this service to supplement lecture based courses.
- Students may request a study group by selecting “Forms” on the right and completing the “Request for Study Groups” form.
- Trained tutors facilitate a Q&A designed session where students have the opportunity to collaborate with their peers.
- All study groups are held in a Tutoring Center location or online.
For further information about this service, please contact the Cerullo Learning Assistance Center (Room L-125, firstname.lastname@example.org, 201-447-7489)
In-Class Tutoring is designed to provide students with additional support during class. An In-Class Tutor attends class on a weekly basis and actively assists students who may not seek help on their own.
- In-Class Tutors encourage students to utilize the resources of the CLAC and become more comfortable approaching faculty with questions and concerns regarding course material. In-Class Tutors may also arrange study groups upon faculty and students’ request.
- Although In-Class Tutors work closely with faculty members, they do not serve as teaching assistants or conduct lectures/labs.
- In-Class tutorial support is most successful with courses/sections in which students are given hands-on activities during class time.
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a learning-enhancement program based on the Socratic method; ultimately, the SI model combines “what to learn with how to learn.”
- The SI Leader, a specially trained tutor, attends every class of the participating course/section. SI Leaders are model students; they take notes while planning their weekly SI sessions and follow the faculty member’s methodology.
- SI sessions are scheduled in the CLAC based on the availability of the students from the participating course/section. Each session is designed to help students review course material while developing effective study habits.
- SI Leaders work in conjunction with the faculty and the CLAC Supervisors. This closely monitored service begins the first day of the semester.
The CLAC provides web-based tutoring via WebEx. Support is available for over 200 courses offered at BCC.
Permanent appointments are provided to students registered with the Office of Specialized Services (OSS) and the Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) office based on available resources. The Cerullo Learning Assistance Center, upon receiving the designated tutorial service forms from the eligible students each semester, will be able to schedule tutorial sessions with a set tutor and subject that will remain consistent for the entire semester.
To request permanent appointments, please visit our tutoring forms page. Select the “Request for Permanent Appointments” link. If you have an accommodation for permanent appointments, you must submit a copy of your Letter of Accommodations to the Tutoring Center via email to email@example.com or in person in room L-125.
Please review our Cancellation Policy for permanent appointments.
The CLAC offers a variety of workshops throughout the year facilitated by both tutors and BCC Faculty. The various topics covered are advertised throughout the semester.