Federal Pell Grant

Pell grant is automatically awarded to eligible students.
Pell grant is available “Year-Round.”
If a student received a full-time Pell award during the fall and spring, they may still receive funds for the summer (if they register for 6+ credits).
If they register for less than 6 credits, an award may still be available based on remaining eligibility.

Receipt of Pell grant in the summer reduces a student’s Lifetime Pell Eligibility.
For more information, please visit the Federal Pell Grants Web page

If a student does not wish to receive a summer Pell Grant, they must submit a Pell Waiver.
For more information, we recommend you view the following “Can I receive a Pell Grant if I go to school year-round?” video:

Federal Supplement Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

SEOG will be awarded based on a student’s need (must have an EFC of 500 or less), enrollment status, and available funds.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

  • Federal Work-Study jobs help students earn money to pay for college.
    If a student was awarded work study in fall and/or spring, please see the Supervisor for summer job opportunities.

Notes: Under the “Which session are you interested in?“: Select the term option that is relevant to your work-study employment availability schedule [e.g. “Winter 2023 – Starting …” or “Sprint 2023 – Starting …”].

  • FWS Summer sessions: the information will be made available in due time. Check back for updates.

Federal Direct Loans

  • Students must request Federal Direct Loans for the summer sessions.
  • To request the reinstatement of your Direct Loan(s) please complete the Loan Request Form.

  • To be eligible for Federal Direct Loans, students must:
    • Maintain at least half-time enrollment (6 credits or more for all summer sessions combined)
    • Complete a Master Promissory Note (at https://studentaid.gov/mpn )
    • Complete an Entrance Counseling (at https://studentaid.gov/entrance-counseling )
    • Not exceed maximum annual or aggregate loan limit
    • Not be default of a Federal student loan or overpayment of a Federal grant.

Private Student Loans

If you are not eligible for the Federal or New Jersey State financial aid or need additional funding for your educational expenses, you may apply for Private Student loans.
Approval is based on credit worthiness of the borrower and/or co-borrower as determined by the lender.
NJCLASS applicants are required to be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

You may compare lenders and loan programs by visiting http://www.elmselect.com.