About Prerequisites and Corequisites
Prerequisites and corequisites refer to academic requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to register for the desired course.
Satisfaction of such requirements may be facilitated through transfer credits where satisfactory completion of the requirement took place at an accredited institution.
Detailed information about the transfer requirements can be found on Transfer to Bergen Web page (www.bergen.edu/transfertobcc).
Please review the course descriptions included in the College’s catalog for all program requirements, including prerequisites and corequisites.
Detailed course descriptions are also accessible under Academics/Syllabi Central Web page.
Course Prerequisites Enforcement
Courses which require prerequisites list the prerequisite (and the minimum grade or required permission(s), if applicable) under the “Requisites” course description content section.
- In some instances, prerequisite/corequisite requirements may require students to register for additional courses that may not be directly associated with their program of study.
- You must already have passed or currently be enrolled in a prerequisite in order to register for a higher level course;
Prerequisites will be strictly enforced:
- If you fail to pass a prerequisite course which you are currently taking, you will be dropped from the higher level course;
- If you have completed prerequisites at another college or university, you will have to upload the supporting documentation on the online Remote Registration Form (RRF) which can be found under the Registration Calendar and Forms Web page;
- If you acquire written permission from a BCC Academic Dean to take a higher-level course without completion of the required prerequisite, please upload the documentation on the online Remote Registration Form (RRF).
Registration Holds and Restrictions
Are you trying to register for a class but the system won’t allow you? This could indicate there is an active hold/restriction on your student record that must be resolved before you can register.
The most common restrictions are due to disciplinary holds, missing prerequisites or co-requisites, missing placement test results or waiver, active academic holds due to unsatisfactory standing, course attempts limit, term course load limit, outstanding balances, unreturned college equipment, the registration period hasn’t opened yet, etc.
Plan of action: As you click “Register” button to finalize/confirm your schedule, remain alert and check /review any error message or system notification and follow up accordingly.
- Hint: The errors are displayed on the top right corner of the Student Portal screen. The error message will be displayed in Red font and, in the top right corner, there will be a Yellow/Magenta cell/square box that includes the number of error messages or notifications applicable to your academic account that need your immediate attention.
- Examples of Common Registration Error Message:
- “Your residency does not match your address on file. Stop at Registration Office”
- “Academic hold. See an Academic Counselor”
- “Placement testing required. Contact Office of Testing Services”
- “Immunizations hold. Contact Office of Health Services”
For academic advising/counseling contact information, visit www.bergen.edu/advising