Due to a variety of circumstances students may not perform to the best of their abilities on the placement test.
To reassess placements, Challenge tests are offered in English, Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra, or Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics, American Language Program (ALP)/ESL, and Speech placements.
Please read the following information carefully regarding Challenge tests at Bergen Community College.
- Since a placement may be challenged only one time, students are strongly encouraged to study for the Challenge tests. To obtain practice and review materials visit the following website: https://bergen.edu/testing/accuplacer-study-guides/. Textbooks are also available to use in the BCC library.
- Challenge tests are offered for the following parts of the Accuplacer Examination:
- Basic Mathematics (MAT-010, MAT-011 or MAT-012) and Elementary Algebra (MAT-031, MAT-035, MAT-040 or MAT-048) or Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics
- Developmental English (EBS-011, EBS-021, or EBS-033)
- ALP/ESL placement
- ALP/ESL Speech placement
- A Basic Mathematics placement must be satisfied before a Challenge test may be taken for Elementary Algebra. In order for your Basic Mathematics placement to be considered satisfied, you must have received a score of 77 or higher on the Arithmetic portion of the classic Accuplacer exam a score of 264 on the Arithmetic portion of the Next Generation Accuplacer exam OR have successfully completed MAT-011/MAT-012 (Basic Mathematics).
- Challenge tests may be taken only once in each subject, and must be taken before the last day of DROP/ADD dates for any semester. If you already have a grade of A, B, C, D, N, Inc., M, W, E, R, F, or Q (Audit), you may NOT challenge the subject.
Please check our placement test schedule on our home page for a list of current dates and times for the Challenge test. We administer the Challenge test on a walk-in basis on the dates and times listed.
Please note that only one Challenge test is permitted per day.
For questions or further information, please contact The Office of Testing Services at (201) 447-7203, email us at [email protected], or visit us in the Paramus Campus, Pitkin Education Center, room S127.