Due to a variety of circumstances, students may not perform to the best of their abilities on the placement test; therefore, students may be eligible to challenge their placement test results.
Please review the following information carefully regarding Challenge tests at Bergen Community College.
- Challenge tests are offered for the following parts of the Accuplacer Examination:
- Basic Mathematics (MAT-010, MAT-011, or MAT-012)
- Elementary Algebra or (QAS) Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics (MAT-031,MAT-035, MAT-040, or MAT-048)
- Developmental English (EBS-011, EBS-021, or EBS-033)
- ALP/ESL placement
- ALP/ESL Speech placement
- A Basic Mathematics placement must be satisfied before a Challenge test may be taken for Elementary Algebra or Quantitative Reasoning (QAS), Algebra, and Statistics .
In order for your Basic Mathematics placement to be considered satisfied, you must have:
- A score of 77 or higher on the Arithmetic portion of the Classic Accuplacer exam
- A score of 264 or higher on the Arithmetic portion of the Next Generation Accuplacer exam
- Have successfully completed MAT-011/MAT-012 (Basic Mathematics).
- Challenge tests may be taken only once in each subject, and must be taken before the last day of DROP/ADD period (refer to the current Registration Calendar) for any semester.
If you already have a grade of A, B, C, CNP, CP, D, E, F, Inc., M, N, R, W, or Q (Audit), you may NOT challenge the subject.
- Only one Challenge test is permitted per day.
- Since a placement may be challenged only one time, students are strongly encouraged to study for the Challenge tests.
To obtain practice and review materials visit the following Accuplacer Study Guides Web page.
Textbooks are also available to use in the BCC library.
- Eligible students interested in taking the Accuplacer Challenge exam have the following options:
Option 1: In-person testing
- In person testing is available, by appointment only, between 9:30 A.M. and 1:00 P.M.
- To schedule an in-person testing appointment, please use the following form/portal:
- To take an in-person test/exam, please report to Room S-127, Pitkin Education Center, at the college’s main campus in Paramus, NJ.
- Bring a valid physical photo ID with you.
- Pictures of ID card on electronic devices (e.g. cellphone, tablet, camera…) are not accepted as proof of identity.
- There is no fee.
Option 2: Virtual/Remote online testing
- Remote online testing is available for a $25 fee and will be done by appointment. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions.
- Please send the request from your BCC student email account.
- Students are not permitted to use a cellphone to take the placement test.
For questions or further information, please contact The Office of Testing Services at (201) 447-7203, email us at email@example.com, or visit us in the Paramus Campus, Pitkin Education Center, room S127.
- The Office of Testing Services cannot answer specific questions over the phone about a student or the student’s challenge test results.
- All students must come to the office in room S-127 with government issued photo identification to receive specific information about their student record.
- Third parties never receive specific information about a student as per The Family Rights andPrivacy Act (FERPA). For more information about FERPA at BCC – click here.