Bergen Community College administers the Accuplacer ESL examination to determine a student’s proficiency in reading, writing, and listening skills and may place students in the American Language Program (ALP) also referred to as the ESL program.
Students placed into the ALP/ESL program are required to complete this program before registering for courses in their chosen curricula.
Students who complete the ALP/ESL program or who have tested out of the program through the Accuplacer ESL examination are then required to take the mathematics portion of the Accuplacer examination.
Accuplacer Entrance Exam Checklist
- Apply to Bergen Community College
- Receive BCC Student ID#
- Check for Waivers
- Check website for In-person testing schedule and Remote online options
- Need Valid Picture ID Card.
Who must take the Accuplacer ESL Examination?
- International students on F-1 visas
- Non-native English speaker residents of the U.S. for fewer than 8 years and not a U.S. high school graduate
- Non-native English speaker U.S. high school graduates with 1 or 2 years in a U.S. high school
- Non-native English speakers who passed the General Educational Development Examination (GED) or High School Equivalency Examination (HSE) in a language other than English.
Note: Non-native speakers who have lived in the U.S. for more than 8 years who have little or no formal English studies may choose to take the Accuplacer ESL examination.
What conditions can waive the placement test requirement?
For ALP/ESL placement test waiver criteria, please visit the “Placement Test Waiver Information” Web page for details.
ESL/ALP Placement Test Content
The ESL/American Language Program Accuplacer test includes:
- Listening Exam (20 untimed multiple-choice questions)
- Language Usage (20 untimed multiple-choice questions)
- Reading Skills (20 untimed multiple- choice questions)
- 50-minute timed essay.
Placement Test Preparation
- Students are strongly encouraged to study for the placement exam
- You may find available study guides on the “Accuplacer Study Guides” Web page.
- Review the Accuplacer Sample Questions for Students
- Check out the Accuplacer Writeplacer ESL Sample Essays
Placement Test Fee
- Remote online testing is offered through Examity for a $25 fee.
Placement Test Appointment Schedule
- Option 1: In-person testing – Available on a walk-in basis between 9:30 A.M. – 1:00 P.M.
No appointment needed. Please report to Room S-127, Pitkin Education Center, with a valid photo ID.
- Option 2: Remote online testing – Students that do not qualify for a waiver and are interested in taking the Accuplacer entrance exam online should email email@example.com for further information and instructions.
1. No test will be administered without proper identification.
2. Students are not permitted to use a cellphone to take the placement test.
Placement Test Results Interpretation
If you have taken the Accuplacer ESL examination and have a placement in ALP/ESL, please review the information below about your placement(s):
Please review the following information provided by the Academic Advising office:
It is strongly recommended to work with an academic advisor before registering for classes once the placement testing has been satisfied.
Please visit the ALP/ESL Advising for New Student Web page for details and for help with selecting classes.
For questions or further information about ALP/ESL placement test, please contact the Office of Testing Services:
- Phone: (201) 447-7203
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: All student communications to the BCC Office of Testing Services should be done using the BCC student portal email account and should include the BCC student ID number.
Placement Test Results Release/Disclosure Statement
- The Office of Testing Services cannot answer specific questions over the phone about a student or the student’s placement test results.
- All students must come to the office in Room S-127 with government issued photo identification to receive specific information about their student record.
- Third parties never receive specific information about a student as per The Family Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). For more information about FERPA at BCC, please visit the “FERPA / Release of Student Information” Web page.“
Note to Guidance Counselors, Testing Center Staff, and other School Officials
- Please have the students upload the actual waiver request, along with their supporting documents.
- The status of the student’s waiver request goes directly back to the student’s BCC email address.