Proficiency tests are offered as a means of placement for a variety of college courses. Successful scores on these exams allow students to register for higher level courses within the same discipline sequence. However, a successful proficiency test carries no course credit. A proficiency test earns a waiver of the course upon passing. Registration forms can be obtained from the Office of Testing Services in room S-127.
- You must register and schedule your exam in person prior to the test date.
- There is a $30.50 non-refundable fee for each proficiency exam.
- Proficiency tests are offered in the following subjects: Intermediate Algebra (MAT 160), Pre-Calculus (MAT 180), and Chemistry (CHM 100).
- You must meet all prerequisites for any course for which you wish to take a proficiency test.
- You may NOT retake a proficiency test for any course.
- Since you can attempt a proficiency test only one time, you are strongly encouraged to study for the proficiency test. Review materials can be found at the bottom of the page. Also, textbooks are available for use in the BCC library.
- You are permitted to use a 4-function calculator provided by the Testing Office for the math proficiency test. You will receive 60 minutes to complete the MAT 160 and 120 minutes to complete the MAT 180 proficiency.
- You are allowed 120 minutes for the CHM 100 test and the use of a non-graphing, non-programmable calculator. Be sure to bring your own calculator.
- Please bring your completed application, a picture ID, and #2 pencils on the day of the exam.
Please see individual CHM 100 and MAT proficiency policies below:
Select to review the desired Topics:
PROFICIENCY TESTS ARE DONE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
- Only candidates taking the exam are permitted to make the testing appointment.
- A valid government issued photo ID or BCC student ID card is required to sign up for and to take the exam.
- Please visit the Office of Testing Services, located in the Pitkin Education Center, Room S127 after you have studied and are ready to schedule an appointment.
- The Office of Testing Services will not schedule any proficiency tests during midterms and finals.
Please check www.bergen.edu/testing for official schedule changes and blackout periods.
- If you are unable to sit for the scheduled appointment, you may reschedule one time by informing the Office of Testing Services at least 24 hours in advance via email at: [email protected].
Failure to do so, will result in another $30.50 charge should you sit for the exam at another time.
- There is a 15 minute grace period for arriving to the scheduled appointment.
Arrivals beyond that time frame will result in another $30.50 charge should you sit for the exam at another time.
For questions or further information about proficiency tests, please call (201) 447-7203, or email us at [email protected].